Premed 101 Forums

Schools Open to my Application Strengths

Hey Everyone,

I have been working slowly and steadily towards medical school since 2014, and am at the point where I can now start applying to Canadian Schools. U of C is my target choice, but I would like to expand my horizons if possible. My last 2 year GPA is 3.74, which is also my best 2 years. I took 24 credits each year, between Sept-April online through Athabasca University. I have a degree in Computer Science, received over 10 years ago, but the GPA for the degree is not above the minimums anywhere in Canada. My MCAT is 509, with 128 in CARS. It was also written before I took biology or chemistry classes. Volunteer and community work are extensive, working with disabled and ill individuals is extensive, work history includes team member, management, consultant, and small business owner in IT industry.

Also there is not a hope that I would be able to raise my cumulative GPA past the admissions point anywhere.

What other schools would be open to my application? 

Thanks Everyone!

i think we would need to know your wGPA for each school to tell. From that it seems Calgary is your best bet. Alberta and Mac are great too for you. whats your wGPA for uoft? if around 3.9 you should be good. Ottawa has a high GPA cutoff and Queens has a cutoff around 3.8 something, so both seem out of your GPA reach. You might have a chance at UBC too depending on your wGPA. Also which province do you live in? All provinces have IP advantage

21 hours ago, dancemom said:

Hey Everyone,

I have been working slowly and steadily towards medical school since 2014, and am at the point where I can now start applying to Canadian Schools. U of C is my target choice, but I would like to expand my horizons if possible. My last 2 year GPA is 3.74, which is also my best 2 years. I took 24 credits each year, between Sept-April online through Athabasca University. I have a degree in Computer Science, received over 10 years ago, but the GPA for the degree is not above the minimums anywhere in Canada. My MCAT is 509, with 128 in CARS. It was also written before I took biology or chemistry classes. Volunteer and community work are extensive, working with disabled and ill individuals is extensive, work history includes team member, management, consultant, and small business owner in IT industry.

Also there is not a hope that I would be able to raise my cumulative GPA past the admissions point anywhere.

What other schools would be open to my application? 

Thanks Everyone!

I'm also from AB, and I had a GPA on the lower end. Last year, I applied to U of C, U of A, and Queen's and got in at all these schools.  I was very hesitant about applying to Queen's because I did not think I'll be competitive as OOP applicant , but I applied anyways.  I highly recommend/encourage you to apply to these 3 schools because you Do have a shot there.  Make sure you write your ECs well as the Albertan schools and Queen's weigh them very heavily. Focus on incorporating canmeds competencies and  writing about the difference you made through your ECs.

Best of Luck!! 

Archived