Premed 101 Forums

Doctor, dentist, or pharmacist?

In this coming September, I will be attending McMaster for life science. Right now, I am in a dilemma where I do not know what I wanna be in the future and this has concerned me. Throughout high school, being a doctor has always been my number one priority, but after researching different healthcare options two others came to mind. I know this may be a little earlier to ask such a question, but I wanna be prepared for the future and not regret my decision that I made. If any of you guys can provide pros/cons to each profession that would be extremely helpful.

Also, suggestions for backups would be nice since I know not everyone can get into these schools...

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at things now, I absolutely feel like the other healthcare professions like pharmacists, SLP, PT/OT, PA etc. get a raw deal. Their grades are often just a tad lower without maybe the MCAT and EC requirements, but the difference in career, income, responsibility is immense. Even as a clerk, I was treated with seniority and respect by hospital based pharmacists many of whom were 10 years older than me. It felt surreal, and truthfully, a bit unfair. 

If I were you, i'd still be going for either med school or dental school. 

just explore your options . No need to rush into a decision right now. 

You have tons of time to explore all sorts of careers prior to making an informed decision. 

You have to remember that many people here are quite biased because this forum is more of a "med school" orientated forum not a "allied health professional" forum. 

Take what you read from here as a grain of salt and do your own thing. 

figure things out your own way. 

Just remember: GPA is king. Keep your marks high and doors will open. 

Archived