Premed 101 Forums

Vacation week before LMCC2?

We had a vacation week built into the week before the LMCC Part 2. I thought it helped doing parts of the physical exam with other people since many times in a real setting you would often do an abbreviated exam and not mention your pertinent positives and negatives aloud obviously.

I didn’t take one. I wasn’t convinced I’d be productive and figured I would just spend a week being anxious and then have one less vacation week. 

If you’ve  been studying a moderate/decent amount you should be fine. 

That said if you’re on a heavier service and want to be well slept it might make more sense. I was on service at the time so my hours were fairly reasonable and my call had been stacked earlier in the month. 

Might depend on what type of residency you are doing.  I had some friends in neurology, peds etc.. who benefited from some extra prep as the exam is heavily skewed towards primary care (and a lesser extent emergency medicine) and they had not covered a lot of the material since med school (obs history etc...).

If you are in family medicine, your prep should be minimal.  Outside of our program dedicating one AHD to a mock LMCC2, I didn't practice a single physical exam (though did review important points in OSCE style physical exams).  Review your general histories (obs, peds, cardiac, psych etc...), have a general approach to critical care (ABCOMIP), have a general sense of time and you will be fine.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:44 PM, Hanmari said:

Just wanted to get the forum's opinion on whether people generally take a week off before their LMCC2 exams to prepare. Is this necessary / recommended?

Thanks

It depends. I personally would even though I am in family medicine. My other friends in internal medicine & pediatrics & psychiatry definitely took a week off to study intensively. 

Given how expensive the exam is, I don't want to take the risks and not prep enough. Re-writing the exam is painful and you will have issues with independent license with CPSO later on (if you don't pass it successfully in spring).

Also, in residency, my physical exam is often abbreviated. I haven't done a full cardiovascular exam & neurological exam in awhile lol! 

The general advice is to write LMCC Part II preferably early, and don't wait last minute, for example, writing the spring exam in PGY2 as a FM resident, and only find out later that you failed by a few points, having issues with CPSO independent practice license later on.. (it happened to someone I know).

Archived