Premed 101 Forums

Effective Personal Statement

To start off, what do you mean by "it's not high enough"? Does this mean that it simply has not made the school's cutoff which you are applying to? If so, no personal statement will be able to compensate for the score, as your application will not be eligible.

With that being said, if you simply think your score is low, however it is still eligible, I'd advise to still apply to your prospective schools. If you don't mind sharing your MCAT score and schools you are looking to apply to, I (and I'm sure many people on this forum) would be happy to give you realistic advice on whether your MCAT is competitive or not. I would like to add I felt I had a weaker MCAT as well, and ended up getting into 3 schools this year and it was my first application cycle. MCAT is weighed more or less heavily depending on the school, and some schools simply use it as a baseline prerequisite (ie, UofT only checks to see if you have 125's in each section and does not consider the MCAT beyond that), thus other aspects of your application can compensate for a less than stellar MCAT.

Hope this is of some help to you, and best of luck in your applications.

MCAT scores are used as cutoffs in most Canadian medical schools and rarely do Canadian medical schools ask for a personal statement. If you are interested in the US then I would advise visiting SDN forums as there are much more resources there to help you with the PS.

More info on your score is definitely needed to be more help. As mentioned if it is below cutoffs you are simply ineligible and you'll need to rewrite. 

I had an MCAT that was simply average for my top choice medical school and I got in on my first application. 

Essay is indeed important in your admission. When I finished my essay, it is not good and unlogical so I googled some editing services and decided to use Topadmit to make it better. I still remember Bryna Kranzler is my editor. She is so great :)  I've been in the same situation as you so I hope I help you out.

Archived