Premed 101 Forums

Looking for advice on my situation

Hi

I am a 33-year-old massage therapist from Toronto. For the past few months I have been considering going back to school so that I can apply to medical school and I’d appreciate if you could give me some suggestions regarding what I should do next. Considering that it will take me four or five years to get a bachelor’s degree, I would also appreciate if you could point out the advantages and disadvantages of my situation. Here is my background:

I am an immigrant and before I came to Canada I had completed four years of a six-year MBBS in my home country. At the time, joining my family in Canada was my priority and I had to give up studying medicine. After I arrived in Canada, I studied massage therapy and I have worked as a therapist and a lecturer for the past few years.

It's going to be a long journey but the fact that you did a MBBS means that you already have a great background in Health Sciences. If you can get into a University undergrad program that focuses on something related to Health Sciences, that'd be great (like Physiology). The only real advice I would have for you is to remember that GPA is king; the good news is that you will start a new degree with this mindset, and so you should try your best to get 4.0s across the board. See if in your first two semester of study you can maintain a 3.93+ GPA or not; if you struggle to do so on a full course load, then it might be wise to reconsider taking this path. But good luck to you though, I hope your dreams come true of being able to continue practicing the profession for which you have already studied! :) 

Thanks for your advice. Given my background, getting a degree related to health sciences seems very practical. However, the more I read about MMI, CASPer, CARS, etc., the more I realize they prefer candidates who are well-versed in psychology. Is psychology a common choice for pre-med students?

Not really - It isn't represented as well as something like, biology or the life sciences in the pre-med population.

It isn't a bad choice for a pre-med degree, as there really is not a preferred choice, BUT something like biology will prepare you slightly better for the initial content in med school purely because of the natural science nature and lab time.

That being said, psychology may definitely help with casper and the psych part of the MCAT, maybe patient interaction? CARS is less psychology, more competence and reading comprehension.

:)

Thanks. I also have a question regarding the extracurricular activities needed for my application. I have years of experience as a massage therapist and instructor. In addition to that, I also have some clinical experience as a medical student in my home country. In your opinion, what other extracurricular activities do I need to become a competitive applicant? 

So, there aren't really any 'preferred' activities, BUT there are competencies (or characteristics) that the schools want you to satisfy with your activities.

For example, you should do something that shows leadership, collaborative skills, health advocate etc; with a healthy blend of things youre passionate about!

Some examples of EC's I have heard have scored well:

- Research assistant

- Hospital volunteer (very run of the mill but is a good experience)

- Brothers and sisters club volunteer

- Inner city volunteering

- Volunteering with a health non profit

- Volunteering with refugees

Good EC's have a wide wide range and a lot of time are worth their weight in how well you explain them in the application. Make sure to give back to your community, do things you're passionate about and challenge yourself.

Hope this helped.

I have talked to a few universities and I might be able to transfer some of my credits so that I can complete the degree in 3 years. However, those courses were done outside of Canada and although my GPA is good, it is nowhere close to 4.0. In your opinion, is it a good idea to transfer those credits or is it better to start from scratch? 

Archived