Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation concern

Hi guys! I've been lurking these forums for about a year now, finally figured I'd make an account. So, I just finished typing up my grades into the online transcript form for my Dal application (as well as sent my transcripts off in the mail)...

Quick question because I thought I read somewhere that 0.05 --> gets rounded up:

My overall GPA is 3.95 (averaged among the years I am using for the calculation), but it's showing up to be rounded down, to 3.9. Is this what the calculation was like for others? 

If you have a 3.95xxxx, I believe you’ll be rounded to a 4.0

If you have 3.94xxxx, you’ll be rounded to a 3.9

Are you calculating it by averaging the total gpa of each year, or by adding every class up and then dividing by the # of credit hours?

Anaik - Yes, what you're saying makes sense. :) My raw score overall GPA without any rounding is between 3.90 and 3.95 (adding up and dividing by # of credit hours), so I initially assumed I'd be rounded down to 3.9.

One of my years is >3.85, but below 3.9, and the other year is >3.95, so I saw that those two individually get rounded up to 3.9 and 4.0. Makes sense. But, in this older thread, it looks like someone called admissions and confirmed that option 2 that the OP put forward is the way that GPA is calculated, so this was the source of my confusion:

Archived