Premed 101 Forums

Need advice - failed MCCQE1 by 1 point

Just a quick question for current residents about the implications of failing the MCCQE1. How does this affect your residency - if at all? I really have no one to blame but myself as there was only 1 week between the last day of my 4th year electives and test day and I was so burnt out that I didn't really study for the test. I actually found the test sort of easy and had never failed anything during my 4 years at medical school, so I was a little shocked with my score of 225 (passing  mark = 226). So ya enough of my ramblings - should I be rushing to book the next session in fall 2018 or am I okay to leave it until early 2019 so I can chip away at studying during my R1 year. Any advice from all of you wise people would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

J

Sorry to hear, that one point definitely hurts and would be frustrating.  As others mentioned, you don't have to tell anyone and it doesn't affect residency (at least in Ontario).  I would still write it in the fall.  You don't need a year, I would just spend time going over high yield topics like peds, OB, psych; and maybe take a vacation week close to the exam so you have some time to cram to make sure you take care of it.

Don't feel bad at all.  It really is a mild setback.  And at least IMO its fairly understandable to want to slack for that exam especially after matching for residency.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, given that you were so close to passing and you didn't study, you'll most likely pass the next time you write it. Ask to get it rescored actually, it won't hurt. If that doesn't work, write it whenever you feel. Study this time and you'll pass for sure. 

Archived