Premed 101 Forums

US Residencies and CaRMS

1 hour ago, neuroscience_nerd said:

If I have already nearly completed my PGY1 in Canada, can I still apply to PGY1 programs in the states? Or is it like CaRMS where I would only be able to apply for leftover spots?

just asked that exactly question in on of the other threads you are involved with - and the person thought that yes you can. Access is not restricted.

Of course like anything on the forum, you should verify that from the ultimate source but it does seem logical that you would be able to :) 

38 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

just asked that exactly question in on of the other threads you are involved with - and the person thought that yes you can. Access is not restricted.

Of course like anything on the forum, you should verify that from the ultimate source but it does seem logical that you would be able to :) 

Where can I verify this? Today I called CaRMS, ERAS, and NRMP and no one could give me an answer either way.

14 minutes ago, neuroscience_nerd said:

Where can I verify this? Today I called CaRMS, ERAS, and NRMP and no one could give me an answer either way.

you would think NRMP would have to - it is literally the organization that makes the policy. If they didn't immediately know, what can they do to find out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:23 PM, GrouchoMarx said:

You can.

This isn't carms. 

You have used no American funding. You can apply pgy1 if you want.

Sorry to bump an old thread here. But if I'm getting this right, a CMG who's doing residency right now in Canada, can still apply to the NRMP match for a PGY-1 position, for instance, because they want to change specialties and there is little hope of transfer within Canada. And this is possible because we have not used an US-based funding for our residency?

I've also tried to understand why USMGs, once they match to a residency through NRMP, can't apply to the NRMP a second time to change specialties or locations. Is it because they've already used up some government funding for their first residency, so they can't match to a new residency due to insufficient funding to complete it?