Premed 101 Forums

3rd year applicant - is it worth it

So I've read a bunch of topics on this and the general consensus appears to be that if you are an exceptional applicant and can afford to do so, you should try and apply in your third year and if you don't get anything at least you have gained a bunch of experience with the entire application process and will be more ready as a 4th year applicant. 

What a lot of those posts don't really talk about is the disadvantage of being a re-applicant when applying in your 4th year after being rejected the year previous. From other forums, it appears that being a re-applicant is generally viewed upon more negatively than a first timer  (they question why you didnt get in the first time... if you've improved enough...etc) 

So i'm kind of stuck on this as I believe im a pretty good applicant (3.99, MCAT probably good, Good EC, Decent references)  and would like to give it a go in my 3rd year to get some experience. Im not expecting myself to get in, so I'm just afraid that when I apply again in my 4th year there will be some disadvantage at the schools that I failed before. 

what are your guys' thoughts on this?

-Also any other useful information I should know as a 3rd year applicant I will really appreciate (what schools...etc). 

If you have the resources I agree it's beneficial to try. The only disadvantage I know about for reapplicants is at Ottawa where they only let you interview 3 times, but being a reapplicant itself won't disadvantage you during the interview stage as they won't know that you're one. It's a clean state elsewhere for Canadian schools. 

Definitely good idea to apply in 3rd year, there's no reason not to! With your stats, apply everywhere you can (Ottawa, Toronto, Queen's, and Mac in Ontario at least).

There's people in my class now that interviewed at my school in previous years and didn't get in, the schools do not consider that you applied before!

Archived