Premed 101 Forums

2-year Undergrad programs as a 2nd Degree?

Hello, 

I am looking to do a 2nd degree, and hoping to get some advice or recommendations for programs that could be completed, preferably, in two years. 

Does anybody know of any undergrad programs that would allow you to fast track and complete it in less time? I have heard that Queens Nursing program allows students to only have to do two years if they already possess a degree in a related field. So im looking for something similar, that would help with med school application at the end of the 2 years. 

My degree is in Social Science with a minor in Psychology. In addition, I had previously completed 2 out of 4 years in a bachelor of Health Science, before switching. my GPA is not competitive at all and I just want to know, given my background  what my options are

https://www.ryerson.ca/sophe/admissions/

both have 2-year versions. Look at pre-reqs, both can be rewarding careers, and may have an extreme workload (6-8 courses per semester) if you don't have transfer credits. Lots of memorization.

Other schools have nursing 2 years, Toronto being one of them as well. Nursing also has a subjective marking scheme so one thing to be aware of.

Some schools look at best two years (Western), most recent two years (Queen's), last three years (Ottawa) or whole new degree as a whole (McGill, Dalhousie), these may be your best bet if you own the new degree in both years. Don't forget about doing well on the MCAT as well. Lots to think about because you might actually have to do one of these careers or a career from a previous degree, as not everyone does end up getting into medicine.

Good luck! :)

I did a second degree in foods and nutrition. It took me 3 yrs but definitely could've been possible in 2 years (many of my colleagues with a science background took 2 yrs with one or two courses in the summer, no overloading in the school year). It prepares you to become a registered dietitian as well, provided you complete one year of internship post grad. Definitely possible to do well in the program (this is key!)-- this year myself and another classmate in my year made it into med school. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

1 hour ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

I did a second degree in foods and nutrition. It took me 3 yrs but definitely could've been possible in 2 years (many of my colleagues with a science background took 2 yrs with one or two courses in the summer, no overloading in the school year). It prepares you to become a registered dietitian as well, provided you complete one year of internship post grad. Definitely possible to do well in the program (this is key!)-- this year myself and another classmate in my year made it into med school. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Did the same thing but finished in two years, without taking summer courses. 

OP it is definitely worth it if you believe you can achieve the high GPA

On 7/3/2018 at 10:36 PM, mdhopeful93 said:

Hello, 

I am looking to do a 2nd degree, and hoping to get some advice or recommendations for programs that could be completed, preferably, in two years. 

Does anybody know of any undergrad programs that would allow you to fast track and complete it in less time? I have heard that Queens Nursing program allows students to only have to do two years if they already possess a degree in a related field. So im looking for something similar, that would help with med school application at the end of the 2 years. 

My degree is in Social Science with a minor in Psychology. In addition, I had previously completed 2 out of 4 years in a bachelor of Health Science, before switching. my GPA is not competitive at all and I just want to know, given my background  what my options are

Currently finishing up a 2 year nursing degree (not in Ontario) with a 3.9+ gpa. It’s definitely possible to do well in them. Besides the sometimes subjective marking a couple things to investigate if considering nursing are the pass/fail courses which could impact your med application at some schools and also any non traditional start dates or curriculum formats that some 2 year nursing programs have. You have to make sure you have enough courses between September and April for 2 years to meet most app requirements.

The benefits of doing nursing for a second degree are that you learn a lot of soft skills and working in a professional healthcare environment which can help with med apps and especially interviews. You also have a guaranteed job with decent pay at the end of it with plenty of areas to work in and opportunities for career advancement if med doesn’t work out. Even if you do poorly in nursing you will still have that. If you take something like biology and do poorly or don’t get into med then your gonna have to do something ELSE on top of that.

Archived