Premed 101 Forums

Odds/Gap year advice?

You are hitting solid GPA levels, that looks pretty good to me on the face of it - I don't think a fifth year sounds like the best use of your time. 

You have to nail that MCAT - that is the your main barrier now. What ever you do next year has to be targeted towards what is holding you back. A masters is not a bad option both for admissions and it does help down the line, but whatever you do cannot interfere with MCAT, MCAT, MCAT :) 

ECs on paper are sounding ok

Unfortunately, you'll be playing a bit of catch up with your GPA. This is one of those odd cases in which I think a 5th year would do a lot of good. With a 4.0 in your 5th year, your Mac/UofT/Ottawa GPA will be A LOT more competitive. You can still score interviews at UofT and Mac with an exceptional application. Ottawa seems unlikely however (I'm guessing by your Queens 2yr wGPA).

If you do well on the MCAT, Western/UofA/UofC will be an option as well. You're incredibly close to having a stellar academic application. Of course, getting a 4.0 & meeting Western cutoffs are not easy tasks. Yet it's very possible to meet both of those goals within a years time.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, rmorelan said:

You are hitting solid GPA levels, that looks pretty good to me on the face of it - I don't think a fifth year sounds like the best use of your time. 

You have to nail that MCAT - that is the your main barrier now. What ever you do next year has to be targeted towards what is holding you back. A masters is not a bad option both for admissions and it does help down the line, but whatever you do cannot interfere with MCAT, MCAT, MCAT :) 

ECs on paper are sounding ok

On 7/4/2018 at 11:33 PM, Potentiate said:

Unfortunately, you'll be playing a bit of catch up with your GPA. This is one of those odd cases in which I think a 5th year would do a lot of good. With a 4.0 in your 5th year, your Mac/UofT/Ottawa GPA will be A LOT more competitive. You can still score interviews at UofT and Mac with an exceptional application. Ottawa seems unlikely however (I'm guessing by your Queens 2yr wGPA).

If you do well on the MCAT, Western/UofA/UofC will be an option as well. You're incredibly close to having a stellar academic application. Of course, getting a 4.0 & meeting Western cutoffs are not easy tasks. Yet it's very possible to meet both of those goals within a years time.

Archived