Premed 101 Forums

Hi there! Recent grad here looking to apply to med this year. Just wondering how realistic it'd be to get an interview this year (seems people's stats are skyrocketing over the years!) and would definitely like some input on how to use a gap year to the fullest? I've just never had this kind of time! I'm also wondering if it might be worth it to consider a 5th year or if aiming for a master's next year is ok as I'm currently looking at a few programs but am a little concerned about my grades...

Mcat: 124/128/129/129, am rewriting this summer for c/p and am already expecting 126+ (will hopefully meet queens/western cutoffs while I'm at it)

Uoft 3.935

Mac 3.79

Western 3.92 

Queens 3.895

UofC/UofA/UBC 3.9-3.92

ECs: work: retail, small business, admin. Two posters (one international), one oral presentation and a paper in the works. Some vulnerable population volunteering in different sectors of rehabilitation, no hospital volunteering. Student mentorship, leading service trips, piloting/running 2 conferences and related advocacy, other conference/event planning, some MUN. Hobbies: long distance cycling/charity rides, RCM 10 piano, gardening, dboat, muay thai, bunch of arts stuff/small things. No fancy awards :P just a potato looking for advice, thank you!

Hopefully, I'm doing this right XD thanks!

You are hitting solid GPA levels, that looks pretty good to me on the face of it - I don't think a fifth year sounds like the best use of your time. 

You have to nail that MCAT - that is the your main barrier now. What ever you do next year has to be targeted towards what is holding you back. A masters is not a bad option both for admissions and it does help down the line, but whatever you do cannot interfere with MCAT, MCAT, MCAT :) 

ECs on paper are sounding ok

Unfortunately, you'll be playing a bit of catch up with your GPA. This is one of those odd cases in which I think a 5th year would do a lot of good. With a 4.0 in your 5th year, your Mac/UofT/Ottawa GPA will be A LOT more competitive. You can still score interviews at UofT and Mac with an exceptional application. Ottawa seems unlikely however (I'm guessing by your Queens 2yr wGPA).

If you do well on the MCAT, Western/UofA/UofC will be an option as well. You're incredibly close to having a stellar academic application. Of course, getting a 4.0 & meeting Western cutoffs are not easy tasks. Yet it's very possible to meet both of those goals within a years time.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, rmorelan said:

You are hitting solid GPA levels, that looks pretty good to me on the face of it - I don't think a fifth year sounds like the best use of your time. 

You have to nail that MCAT - that is the your main barrier now. What ever you do next year has to be targeted towards what is holding you back. A masters is not a bad option both for admissions and it does help down the line, but whatever you do cannot interfere with MCAT, MCAT, MCAT :) 

ECs on paper are sounding ok

Thanks rmorelan! You're quite motivating and you've got a really good point there :D 

On 7/4/2018 at 11:33 PM, Potentiate said:

Unfortunately, you'll be playing a bit of catch up with your GPA. This is one of those odd cases in which I think a 5th year would do a lot of good. With a 4.0 in your 5th year, your Mac/UofT/Ottawa GPA will be A LOT more competitive. You can still score interviews at UofT and Mac with an exceptional application. Ottawa seems unlikely however (I'm guessing by your Queens 2yr wGPA).

If you do well on the MCAT, Western/UofA/UofC will be an option as well. You're incredibly close to having a stellar academic application. Of course, getting a 4.0 & meeting Western cutoffs are not easy tasks. Yet it's very possible to meet both of those goals within a years time.

Hey there potentiate! Thanks for the input, I find it tough gauging if a 5th year is a good idea (financial cost & potential of doing worse vs truly broadening your application & greater opportunity) though I agree, I looked through the invite/regrets post and for the most part grades are higher and it would definitely help. Is there anything specific that you think makes an exceptional application?

Anyways I'll look into it more after the mcat :D thanks for taking the time!