Premed 101 Forums

OT University of Manitoba

• 10 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 9:56 AM, HopefulOT(one day) said:

Hi there- I am looking for feedback on the OT program @ the University of Manitoba. How competitive is it to get in compared to some of the Ontario schools? What did you like/dislike about the program? And Admission experiences/feedback?

Thanks!

I had gone for the interview at UofM and received an offer of admission. I had a great experience! Everyone is really friendly and their class size is capped at 50. The school is located on a seperate campus where they have their med school, pharmacy school etc. So it isn't as busy and crowded. Being from Ontario I was fairly nervous about potentially having to relocate to manitoba for OT school but after speaking with the current students and faculty members my nerves turned into excitement. 

One thing I liked about UofM is that they a mentorship program where you are assigned to a group and an advisor who will check in on you and work with you to build up your portfolio. They do also offer unique placement opportunities in indigenous communities and encourage students to take part in at least one placement outside of Winnipeg. 

Their GPA is calculated on a 4.5 scale so keep that in mind when reading up stats about the school. Also they only take about 8 out of province students each year, but don't let that hold you back. This year I believe they received 178 applicants which is lower than the 900+ many Ontario schools receive.