Premed 101 Forums

Hey all, I was wondering how much GPA is factored into the admission or even interview invite aspect?

Are there are any stories out there of someone with a super low GPA (but a good explanation essay) + good MCAT + good ECs getting in? 

Does anyone know how much/seriously these explanation essays are considered as to why you have a lower gpa? 

Thanks!!

Unfortunately GPA is king.

Define SUPER low? Under 3.5 and your chances are unfathomably low. A 3.7 is considered very low for U of T.  Even with a solid explanation essay, if your cGPA is low, you have very little to no chances of getting into U of T.

if your explanation essay is to explain one or two bad grades, that's different. But I do not think it can be used to excuse or explain your entire GPA.

Depending how my explanation essay was applied, my GPA was roughly 3.7, with a qualifying mcat and good ECs. I don't know if its right to say that 3.5, especially as a grad student, is not going to happen, with exceptional and distinguishing ECs. Just temper expectations.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:16 AM, T-cell said:

Hey all, I was wondering how much GPA is factored into the admission or even interview invite aspect?

Are there are any stories out there of someone with a super low GPA (but a good explanation essay) + good MCAT + good ECs getting in? 

Does anyone know how much/seriously these explanation essays are considered as to why you have a lower gpa? 

Thanks!!

There was a person on these forums last year or the year before (can't remember) who got in with a 3.6 as an undergrad. Don't know if they're still active on here. I believe they posted that they were an international chess player and got professional advice writing their essays. Soooo it's definitely possible! Always apply, you never know. The stats reported are usually means,  there are always people below and above the average reported. goodluck :)

Archived