Premed 101 Forums

Can anyone from UWO Med Sci give me advice on this schedule?

So kind of radical advice here, but if you're able to take organic chem in the summer instead, I highly recommend it since you are much more likely to have a second year GPA that is competitive when applying to med school, and it allows you to still have the knowledge for the mcat. Saying this since the vast majority of people do not get over 80 in those classes, though its manageable if you study really hard and chemistry comes to you naturally. I'm a Western grad, currently in med school. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. 

On 7/6/2018 at 1:27 PM, KeyzerSoze said:

I've seen FAR too many posts decrying the difficulty of 2nd year med sci and as someone heading into third year I maintained the exact same GPA in both years (>90%) with relatively same amounts of effort (and really my 2nd year GPA should've easily been higher, see earlier post about cell bio lol). People will tell you orgo is impossible and stats is useless and frustrating and genetics exams are completely unfair and I'm sure you'll hear many other things, but I'm telling you that all those courses are very doable. I can't tell you how much you need to study or how to study for those courses as you should know your study habits by now, but I'm telling you that:

1) the courses are not designed to weed people out. They are designed to give people a  comprehensive introductory skillset into biology and chemistry, and

2) the professors are not trying to weed people out for med school. Damjanovski said it best: They write the test that they believe will adequately test your knowledge and then they don't care how the class does. Whether the average is 60 or 80 (of course if it's too low they might do something but with 1000+ people this is never an issue).

lol my GPA in first year should've been a 3.96 if I had gotten 1% more in FIVE different classes. A bunch of 89's and 84's. Instead, I ended first year with a 3.89. Thanks for the advice though!

On 7/6/2018 at 1:27 PM, KeyzerSoze said:

I've seen FAR too many posts decrying the difficulty of 2nd year med sci and as someone heading into third year I maintained the exact same GPA in both years (>90%) with relatively same amounts of effort (and really my 2nd year GPA should've easily been higher, see earlier post about cell bio lol). People will tell you orgo is impossible and stats is useless and frustrating and genetics exams are completely unfair and I'm sure you'll hear many other things, but I'm telling you that all those courses are very doable. I can't tell you how much you need to study or how to study for those courses as you should know your study habits by now, but I'm telling you that:

1) the courses are not designed to weed people out. They are designed to give people a  comprehensive introductory skillset into biology and chemistry, and

2) the professors are not trying to weed people out for med school. Damjanovski said it best: They write the test that they believe will adequately test your knowledge and then they don't care how the class does. Whether the average is 60 or 80 (of course if it's too low they might do something but with 1000+ people this is never an issue).

Look, this years genetics was nothing...nothing compared to previous years. Biostats and organic chemistry are definitely the hardest courses for most students because they require a lot of effort to do well in, they are a combination of understanding+practice+memorization. Almost all biology courses and first year courses are very minimal in understanding and practice and mostly just memorization based. Glad you have a good GPA but you aren't representative of the majority by any means.

Archived