Premed 101 Forums

OT - Toronto/GTA Shadowing and Volunteering

Hi all,

I graduated from law school a couple years ago, and have been considering transitioning career paths for a while. After some serious research, I think OT might be the path for me, however I don't want to jump into this without getting my feet wet first.

Does anyone have any connections or recommendations for places where I can shadow/volunteer under an OT? I am open to shadowing in as many different areas as possible to get an idea if this is really for me.

Thanks!

OTlaw

Hello,

I'm sorry that I can't speak of anything in Toronto but how I got started with experience in PT was that I just entered a clinic close by and asked "do you accept additional help/volunteer? I'm  very interested in becoming a _________ and I would love to get some experience." It seemed really daunting before I did this but honestly, the first place I asked said of course and had me gaining valuable experience at the clinic almost immediately. I wish  I asked sooner so I could have had even more experience/hours when I applied in January.

Hello,

I shadowed an OT at Westpark Healthcare Centre, they took me in immediately. You can try there! As for the rest I emailed a bunch of places in Toronto (e.g. Toronto Rehab, Sunnybrook, Grace hospital etc) asking if there are any opportunities to shadow an OT. Start emailing right now! 

Archived