Premed 101 Forums

It's doable, people have increased their NAQ significantly before. Even with little changes in your actual activities, I believe how you write about them makes a difference. Plus you will have added a year to your existing activities. Note that all this does depend on the competitiveness of the rest of applications, as people have seen their NAQ score drop even when they added substantially to them, and the cutoff will also change. Since what can be done in terms of your activities is done now, really focus on how you write them 

I applied twice also narrowly missing the interview cutoff window by 2 points. This year it went up as I received an interview and was accepted. So definitely doable.

There are two things: (1) very consistently there is grade inflation so AQ does seem to go down year to year unless you increase your GPA and (2) if I were in your shoes I would rewrite all my NAQ entries. If there are any blank boxes really think outside of the box so you can add entries that showcase who you are and where you’ve come from. 

Definitely going to add to what Lesigh2 said.

1) Rewrite your NAQs.  Try to make them tangible and thoughtful.  Try to put yourself in a reviewers place, and see how someone else would read an entry and what they'd think of it.

2) Add interesting/fun things!  Activities/events people wouldn't typically think of when filling out an application for medical school.  If you have any weekly activities you do with family or friends, add it on to the application - it'll probably benefit you greater than you think.

I was in a similar situation last year! I reapplied and was able to get in interview and get in. My NAQ activities did not change from one round to the next (other than completing my Master's), I just continued with them and therefore the hours for each respective activity increased.

I totally agree with the above, HOW you write your NAQs makes a world of difference.

You are also welcome to PM me as well!

Archived