Premed 101 Forums

The slow decay of dentistry

On 7/7/2018 at 12:55 PM, Coronaxtra said:

I think it’s more about flexibility than anything. If your willing to work a little outside he GTA for example, you will find a good paying job and have the ability to build a practice. Or, you could move to the states as strawberryjams has mentioned but that would bring another set of issues. 

I would argue that just moving outside of the GTA does not guarantee the ability to build a practice. Too many grads in the golden horseshoe at least are finding their days not full and needing to piece together part time work in multiple practices

On 9/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, Ostracized said:

Well, it was with the NDEB so maybe not unexpected.  

It wouldn't be out of the norm for an associateship though. The one I was talking about was 1.5 hours from Toronto, still got 80 apps in the first day. That was a couple weeks ago, so I don't even want to know how many we've received now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 11:08 AM, cleanup said:

It wouldn't be out of the norm for an associateship though. The one I was talking about was 1.5 hours from Toronto, still got 80 apps in the first day. That was a couple weeks ago, so I don't even want to know how many we've received now.

Random question but how much would an associate be expected to make 2-3 years out of dental school in the GTA?

On 11/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, Starburst said:

Random question but how much would an associate be expected to make 2-3 years out of dental school in the GTA?

In my first year of working experience: I have been working 3 part time associateships for about 9 months in the GTA. There are ups and downs in income from month to month, I am expecting around 120k gross first year out. Finding jobs seems quite competitive, my principle dentists mentioned they get around 80-150 apps for an associate position posted online. 

Ostracized estimate of 0-200k is super realistic

54 minutes ago, jonleez said:

In my first year of working experience: I have been working 3 part time associateships for about 9 months in the GTA. There are ups and downs in income from month to month, I am expecting around 120k gross first year out. Finding jobs seems quite competitive, my principle dentists mentioned they get around 80-150 apps for an associate position posted online. 

Not liking that 0 in there.....although I cannot say I have heard any differently. 

On 11/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, Starburst said:

3 hours ago, Ostracized said:

Somewhere in the range of $0 to $200,000.  Sorry that’s a big range but that’s all I can say.  

I’m assuming venturing out of the GTA nets you slightly more than 0-200k? (Ex. Peterborough, Wasaga, Woodstock, etc.)

5 hours ago, jonleez said:

How does it feel paying off that 400k student debt from Melbourne with that income :lol:

20 minutes ago, member_225 said:

Mind sharing what your payments are? Are you taking the agressive approach or the laid back minimum payment approach

Around 4000 per month (disclaimer, I had help with about 100k/400k)

Anyone who decides to study in Australia, be prepared to delay your mortgage lol

10 minutes ago, DURP said:

Definitely not the right career choice if you're just looking for a 6 digit salary!

In the long run, you'll make good money, but up until your thirties-mid thirties, almost any other career will make you as much money or more, given the student loan debt and the time commitment. That's not taking into account lost years of work and the potential to invest that money 

1 minute ago, member_225 said:

30k per year is minimum wage exactly, to put it into perspective haha. Technically, you're making minimum wage after debt servicing (and breaking your back in the process)! 

It's like driving Uber: you trade your car's equity for income. Only in this case, you trade your vertebrae for income

22 minutes ago, member_225 said:

In the long run, you'll make good money, but up until your thirties-mid thirties, almost any other career will make you as much money or more, given the student loan debt and the time commitment. That's not taking into account lost years of work and the potential to invest that money 

I still think the investment is worth it if your thinking long-term. Pay down the debt as much as you can but target ownership eventually. I know a few people that bought a clinic straight out from graduating and turned out to be successful business owners. The vertebrae may take a beating but the payoff in the long run is financially worth it.

1 minute ago, VivaColombia said:

I still think the investment is worth it if your thinking long-term. Pay down the debt as much as you can but target ownership eventually. I know a few people that bought a clinic straight out from graduating and turned out to be successful business owners. The vertebrae may take a beating but the payoff in the long run is financially worth it.

In the long run I think it's worth it too, I'm just saying if we're talking short term (up until mid thirties) you won't exactly be making bank. Especially with a 300k-400k loan, you'd basically be making minimum wage for a number of years, something you could have started doing at 16 yrs old. Just something to consider. As for buying the dental practise, I actually talked to my dentist about this when I thought of pursuing dentistry. You'd be an idiot not to take a few years to associate and build speed/skill under another dentist's supervision. If not, it's lawsuits waiting to happen, not just from your patients, but staff as well LOL

17 hours ago, member_225 said:

How does it feel paying off that 400k student debt from Melbourne with that income :lol:

Feels fine.  just have to prioritize your budgeting.  I didn't even make 100K in my first year as I was on a fixed salary in Australia and only paid the interest on my LOC and minimum on my Ontario loans.  Finally put a big dent on my debt at the end of my second year working on commission.  Now that I'm back in Canada in a smaller city with lower cost of living, debt repayment has become even easier.  I'm simultaneously supporting my elderly parents, my daughter and wife who is on maternity leave.  I usually put in 3-5K/month, depending on billings.  Once my wife, who is also a dentist, goes back to work, our cash flow will be even better.  Everyone's situation is different.  Just because there's a huge debt doesn't mean it's not manageable or that I have to live in substandard lifestyle.