Premed 101 Forums
Borntobewild

The slow decay of dentistry

14 hours ago, Chaxon said:

If this is as apparent as you guys believe wouldn’t someone be doing something about it? 

Or are you guys just hyping it up? Hmm..

The public perception of dentists is.....they make too much money. Even if we tried to do something, people would simply brush it off. At the end of the day, these big dent corps see the long-term outlook of $$$, production and dental factories rather than pursuing patient-centred care. Personally, I know someone who has 32 clinics and keeps buying out others to get a big dental corp to buy him out. Now imagine a dental corp owning all those clinics, giving associates jobs but expecting production all the time. Yeah dentistry is changing..but still good take-home income  -_-

A dental career is whatever you wanna make it.

It is whatever when you are done chooses to make it.   One has to decide what drives and is important to oneself and decide their career path that way.  It is definitely not a career where one will starve

5 hours ago, Doczombie said:

A dental career is whatever you wanna make it.

It is whatever when you are done chooses to make it.   One has to decide what drives and is important to oneself and decide their career path that way.  It is definitely not a career where one will starve

This. :D

Are people on these forums generally more pessimistic or is dentistry really going downhill from here? Cause you can never trust everything on the internet... I always thought dentists make at least 300K+ Mid career after overhead and is generally a fantastic career despite high tuition fees...

42 minutes ago, peace2014 said:

Are people on these forums generally more pessimistic or is dentistry really going downhill from here? Cause you can never trust everything on the internet... I always thought dentists make at least 300K+ Mid career after overhead and is generally a fantastic career despite high tuition fees...

hit up steins gate...hes in his 2nd year of uoft dent and got two 500k jobs lined up in toronto and around gta ;)

12 hours ago, peace2014 said:

Hah, this couldn't be more wrong. You can definitely make 300+, I would say only a minority of dentists are making that much. 

If you are working in a big saturated city then only a small fraction are taking home that much. I don't know any of my classmates working in the city taking home anywhere near that. 

10 hours ago, Lvl3sonly said:

Hah, this couldn't be more wrong. You can definitely make 300+, I would say only a minority of dentists are making that much. 

If you are working in a big saturated city then only a small fraction are taking home that much. I don't know any of my classmates working in the city taking home anywhere near that. 

Do you know anyone outside the city taking home near that?

11 minutes ago, Everclear said:

Do you know anyone outside the city taking home near that?

Move to a semi-rural place a 2hr flight from a big centre, with a first nations population(good insurance), and youre making 300k easy, working at a normal pace.