Premed 101 Forums

Anyone butcher 2 CARS passages on the MCAT and score 128+?

Hey guys,

I wrote the MCAT recently and totally butchered 2 passages. The passages were super complex and I had to make educated guesses... I felt good about the rest. 

Did anyone have a similar experience but managed to pull off a strong score?

THANK-YOU

1 hour ago, Helppp said:

Hey guys,

I wrote the MCAT recently and totally butchered 2 passages. The passages were super complex and I had to make educated guesses... I felt good about the rest. 

Did anyone have a similar experience but managed to pull off a strong score?

THANK-YOU

Hey there, I had a couple passages I was totally unsure about and ended up educated-guessing multiple passages. I think I scored a 129 in the section regardless. I'm sure you did fine! 

You can do absolutely nothing about it until your scores come back though so just do your best to distract yourself and deal with whatever score you got when they are released. 

It really depends on how everyone else did because your score is based on a standardized score and not based on raw score.

Other people could have butchered those two passages and more, and you could end up with a 130. But other people could have also found the CARS section very easy overall and you could end up with a 123. Standard deviations... It's a blessing and a curse.

1 hour ago, AM22476 said:

Hey there, I had a couple passages I was totally unsure about and ended up educated-guessing multiple passages. I think I scored a 129 in the section regardless. I'm sure you did fine! 

You can do absolutely nothing about it until your scores come back though so just do your best to distract yourself and deal with whatever score you got when they are released. 

Thank-you for replying. Can’t believe scores are not released until a month after the exam! I am needing a 128+, otherwise I will have to rewrite. I am wondering if I should book a second exam now given how poorly I did on those two passages? I am quite certain that I did not get all the other questions right. What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Helppp said:

Thank-you for replying. Can’t believe scores are not released until a month after the exam! I am needing a 128+, otherwise I will have to rewrite. I am wondering if I should book a second exam now given how poorly I did on those two passages? I am quite certain that I did not get all the other questions right. What do you think?

This just the normal pre-med neurosis talking.

The score is out of your control. You could decide to rebook the test, see the score and if your satisfied you can cancel or not.

During my test, the servers in our location went down halfway into my CARS. We had to pause for a whole hour, and then get back into CARS (where they started the timer again from where I left off before I managed to get into my seat), had to get my mind back into the game, and ended up rushing the later half of the CARS section. I was worried sick of butchering my CARS during the entire month of waiting.

I ended up getting a 129 despite it all.

The point is that I felt really good about the passages before the servers went out, and afterwards I had to rush the rest. I inevitably made some mistakes due the rush, but I was still able to get a good score, as I had predicted based on how well I felt for a lot of the answers. I'm guessing that you are somewhat on the same boat (feeling really great about a lot of the answers, but there are a couple that you are hesitant), in which case I do believe that there is still a great chance of you getting the score you want, because most people that take CARS can't consistently get good answers -- given that you felt good about the rest (beyond the 2 passages you were hesitant on), you are most likely a positive outlier. 

I mean as mentioned you could rebook, but realistically everyone panics in the month of waiting. It's a case of obsessing over "what if I answered that question wrong"? I know I had myself convinced I would have to rewrite, and I did not. I think you should just wait it out, as much as it sucks, and see what happens. 

19 hours ago, FeelingTheBern said:

This just the normal pre-med neurosis talking.

The score is out of your control. You could decide to rebook the test, see the score and if your satisfied you can cancel or not.

You are probably right.. thanks again 

15 hours ago, bigboydyo said:

During my test, the servers in our location went down halfway into my CARS. We had to pause for a whole hour, and then get back into CARS (where they started the timer again from where I left off before I managed to get into my seat), had to get my mind back into the game, and ended up rushing the later half of the CARS section. I was worried sick of butchering my CARS during the entire month of waiting.

I ended up getting a 129 despite it all.

The point is that I felt really good about the passages before the servers went out, and afterwards I had to rush the rest. I inevitably made some mistakes due the rush, but I was still able to get a good score, as I had predicted based on how well I felt for a lot of the answers. I'm guessing that you are somewhat on the same boat (feeling really great about a lot of the answers, but there are a couple that you are hesitant), in which case I do believe that there is still a great chance of you getting the score you want, because most people that take CARS can't consistently get good answers -- given that you felt good about the rest (beyond the 2 passages you were hesitant on), you are most likely a positive outlier. 

Oh man... that sounds brutal! Congrats on getting 129 despite the server issue.

Thank-you for optimistic reply. What makes me nervous is that I am assuming I did not get every question right on the other 7 passages... so if (worst case scenario) I got all 10 ish questions wrong on the passages I butchered, I might be looking at a lousy score. I am hopeful that I will pull of 128+ , but either way.. it was a learning experience and is all part of the journey!!

Archived