Premed 101 Forums

Letter of Recommendation

Hello Guys!

I was wondering if someone could helped me regarding letters of recommendation. I volunteered for a doctor who is also a professor and a research at sick kids and he asked me to write a draft for my letter of recommendation which is something I have never done before. I was wondering if anyone here can help me out. Also, Do you guys think is it okay to use outside sources as letter of recommendation rather than asking professor. For instance, I used to be a writer for a newspaper (health section specifically) at my university. Can I use that? I don't want to beg professor. I volunteered at developmental neuroscience lab and pediatric research lab at my university and both professors expect to do summer research with them to get the letter. Also, I am into clinical research and I feel discussing my work as health editor and volunteered with a doc will allow me to elaborate more. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:35 PM, star786 said:

Hello Guys!

I was wondering if someone could helped me regarding letters of recommendation. I volunteered for a doctor who is also a professor and a research at sick kids and he asked me to write a draft for my letter of recommendation which is something I have never done before. I was wondering if anyone here can help me out. Also, Do you guys think is it okay to use outside sources as letter of recommendation rather than asking professor. For instance, I used to be a writer for a newspaper (health section specifically) at my university. Can I use that? I don't want to beg professor. I volunteered at developmental neuroscience lab and pediatric research lab at my university and both professors expect to do summer research with them to get the letter. Also, I am into clinical research and I feel discussing my work as health editor and volunteered with a doc will allow me to elaborate more. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

For Ontario, usually it's advised to have 1-2 academic references (and have the remaining 1 or 2 be non-academic). If you have a good relationship with a person supervising you during your writing position and you think that they can give you a great letter, it's definitely worth it.

Archived