Premed 101 Forums

UBC Admissions Statistics

UBC posts on their blog the statistics for rejected and accepted applicants on their website every year. However, why are there so few matriculants from the "Other BC Universities/Colleges" section? I myself go to one of these "other" schools and it makes me worry; is it just that very few applicants from these schools apply? Are the people who apply from these schools just completely blown out of the water by abysmal NQ/AQ scores because they went to a smaller school? I am definitely not a weak student by any means, but it worries me that I may be disadvantaged. I am aware that medical schools allegedly do not discriminate based on where you went to school.

Thanks again guys!

Hi,

I am a 2016 UBC MD grad.  There were at least 6 people in our class (myself included) who attended University of the Fraser Valley for undergrad.  I definitely don't think you are at a disadvantage by attending a smaller school.  In many ways it is an advantage (easier to get reference letters from profs for example).  There are just so few applicants relatively speaking who apply from these schools, it seems to a lot of people they are at a disadvantage (most high school medicine gunners are aiming for UBC/SFU/maybe UVic right off the bat for whatever reason).

I completely disagree. I feel like going to a smaller university is actually more advantageous. You have more opportunities and chances for advancement and volunteer exposure. I had an NAQ of 40 and AQ of 39 and I went to a smaller university. That score would not have been possible if I went to UBC or a larger school

Archived