Premed 101 Forums

3.78 cGPA & 127 cars. Should I re write? McMaster

meddem

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. Sorry if I am not posting this in the right place. 

I have a 3.78 overall gpa and a 127 cars score. I honestly can't decide if I should re write the exam. Yes, I have looked at past threads where students who received invites share their stats.

I grew up in Hamilton and my family lives there so im really hoping for McMaster. What do you think? I am not overly worried about the casper test. I just don't know if I should take more undergrad courses (already graduated) and/or re-write the MCAT. 

Thanks for your help!

You would have to do very well on casper to get the MAC interview to overcome relatively low GPA/CARS  (it is purely math for an invite).

Don't restrict your thinking to MAC.  Apply everywhere you can.   What is the rest of your MCAT results ... what is your weighted wGPA for different Ontario schools.

43 minutes ago, Meridian said:

You would have to do very well on casper to get the MAC interview to overcome relatively low GPA/CARS  (it is purely math for an invite).

Don't restrict your thinking to MAC.  Apply everywhere you can.   What is the rest of your MCAT results ... what is your weighted wGPA for different Ontario schools.

Hi,

130/127/130/129. 3.84 sub gpa. 

I am not going to be able to leave Hamilton for several years due to family stuff. McMaster is my number 1 for sure. 

In your opinion, what is a competitive GPA for McMaster? 3.8+?

thank-you 

19 minutes ago, meddem said:

Hi,

I am not going to be able to leave Hamilton for several years due to family stuff. McMaster is my number 1 for sure. 

thank-you 

They usually post the stats in their website of average accepted, so around those is safe bet. 3.84 or something I think. As was said above, you really need to do well on CASPer to get an interview. You’re definitely fighting an uphill battle though and more so with only one school choice. Best of luck!

3 hours ago, meddem said:

Hi,

thank-you 

You can see MAC's accepted statistics below.  There is no simple answer, but they are very transparent for interview invite as it is mathematical  33% GPA / 33% CARS / 33% Casper.   Both your GPA and CARS are below average, so you would need to get an absolute top mark on the Casper to get an invite.  (You will never know how you do on the Casper).

https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/md-program-admissions/how-we-select

Your excellent MCAT opens you up to both UofT and Queens.  If your weighted GPA (last 2 years Queens  / drop 4 credits UofT) is above 3.85 you should apply to each as well.  

They cannot leave Hamilton for personal reasons, so if OP somehow found a way to do so then for sure try. But if thy ABSOLUTELY cannot leave, then not much else they can do unfortunately. Can OP do another year of full time and perhaps get the GPA ? That’s your next step, that way you stay in town.

Archived