Premed 101 Forums
ninja7292

Thoughts on BS/MD programs?

Honestly, no. I think it helps establish maturity to go through university, coping skills, emotional and social skills, various research skills and opportunities that can further increase their ability as a investigator. Further more, the application process can help establish perseverance, I’m an example hah.  work experience after a degree helps further development. Also you may find most people in QUARMs come from well off families, and hence we lose the ability of being able to relate to patients who come from low income or adverse conditions. I definitely am going to be a different clinician than if I got in earlier in my undergrad career. I didn’t have the same opportunities that most QUARMs matriculates have. Medical applications already are biased towards people who have more $, we don’t need more of that, we need more life experience. I found that people in my previous career who got into it right away didn’t appreciate the privilege of their job as much as people who had various lower income jobs before getting in. Government is so cushy lol.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, IMislove said:

Honestly, no. I think it helps establish maturity to go through university, coping skills, emotional and social skills, various research skills and opportunities that can further increase their ability as a investigator. Further more, the application process can help establish perseverance, I’m an example hah.  work experience after a degree helps further development. Also you may find most people in QUARMs come from well off families, and hence we lose the ability of being able to relate to patients who come from low income or adverse conditions. I definitely am going to be a different clinician than if I got in earlier in my undergrad career. I didn’t have the same opportunities that most QUARMs matriculates have. Medical applications already are biased towards people who have more $, we don’t need more of that, we need more life experience. I found that people in my previous career who got into it right away didn’t appreciate the privilege of their job as much as people who had various lower income jobs before getting in. Government is so cushy lol.

I know several people in QUARMS and holy God, they are so rich. Of the ones I know, Im not surprised if the parents made 500k+ together. They can afford the best tutors, go to the best schools in the top neighborhoods, start their own charities and travel to Africa for voluntourism trips. Money makes applying to medical school much much easier. 

9 hours ago, IloveMemes said:

I know several people in QUARMS and holy God, they are so rich. Of the ones I know, Im not surprised if the parents made 500k+ together. They can afford the best tutors, go to the best schools in the top neighborhoods, start their own charities and travel to Africa for voluntourism trips. Money makes applying to medical school much much easier. 

I'm sorry but the way your third sentence came off just reminded me of this copypasta and I couldn't stop laughing hahaha

"i think its hilarious u kids talking shit about QUARMS. u wouldnt say this shit to him at lan, hes jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes. yall are pathetic lol"

I think BS/MD programs have their place, the main advantage I see in programs like that is it allows people to be more focused on medicine from day one and it can reduce training times. Ultimately, the things you do in undergrad have very little influence or benefit on what you eventually do as a physician, so I can definitely see the benefit of reducing medical school to 6-7 years instead of the current 8.