Premed 101 Forums

Western Now Looking at ECs

Again this is speculation, but doesn't it seem unlikely that Western is going to read 2700+ abbreviated sketches and use it to make the interview decision by January? Especially since they are 9-10 essays of ~400 words each and scoring them is quite a subjective (and therefore lengthy) process. Even the U of T essays are half the length. If they apply the cutoffs first and say they lower CARS to 128, that's still  quite a lot of sketches to read in 2.5 months. It would make more sense they'd want to assess each one carefully throughout the entire process, I mean, the university is the one paying for it. I personally think the cutoffs are gonna stay the same and the aABS is going to serve the same purpose the OMSAS sketch and reference letters serve now, strictly post interview.

Oh and by the way, I emailed the admissions office, and they confirmed that the interview will remain unchanged (ie remain closed-file)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, bparking said:

Again this is speculation, but doesn't it seem unlikely that Western is going to read 2700+ abbreviated sketches and use it to make the interview decision by January? Especially since they are 9-10 essays of ~400 words each and scoring them is quite a subjective (and therefore lengthy) process. Even the U of T essays are half the length. If they apply the cutoffs first and say they lower CARS to 128, that's still  quite a lot of sketches to read in 2.5 months. It would make more sense they'd want to assess each one carefully throughout the entire process, I mean, the university is the one paying for it. I personally think the cutoffs are gonna stay the same and the aABS is going to serve the same purpose the OMSAS sketch and reference letters serve now, strictly post interview.

Oh and by the way, I emailed the admissions office, and they confirmed that the interview will remain unchanged (ie remain closed-file)

From the website:

To ensure a holistic approach, in addition to grades and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores, we will be requiring applicants to complete an Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch to help us determine who should be selected for interviews.

2 hours ago, Gironomo said:

From the website:

To ensure a holistic approach, in addition to grades and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores, we will be requiring applicants to complete an Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch to help us determine who should be selected for interviews.

You're right. Weird that it's there so plainly on the website but when I emailed them specifically about this, they wouldn't confirm if it was pre- or post-interview. I guess we won't know for sure till January

9 hours ago, bparking said:

You're right. Weird that it's there so plainly on the website but when I emailed them specifically about this, they wouldn't confirm if it was pre- or post-interview. I guess we won't know for sure till January

Another alternative is that maybe the aABS is reviewed for people who meet total MCAT cut off, but not necessarily all the section cut offs (CARS), similar to how they do SWOMEN.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:47 PM, DarkRoastBlaq said:

If you're not SWOMEN I would not bank on the cutoffs lowering. Admissions are only getting more competitive and this new criterion is a testament to that. Just my $0.02.

but not banking doesn't mean on not applying though. Sure the odds aren't super great but if you are close the risk/cost is minimal

11 minutes ago, LloydRedStan said:

Another alternative is that maybe the aABS is reviewed for people who meet total MCAT cut off, but not necessarily all the section cut offs (CARS), similar to how they do SWOMEN.

ha, true - I mean there are a ton of possibilities here. 

The wording of the website also may not be exactly what they are going to do either - there have been many times that schools including Western have been SLIGHTLY off on this or simply not telling the entire story. Particularly with new rules and rapidly changing situations. 

Archived