Premed 101 Forums

18 hours ago, Abramula said:

We can only hope, but that Cars score really serves as the control to keep the numbers close to 450, I really don't think they would decrease that . If anything they may knock a point of bio and add psych, also I feel like this is an experimental year for the ABS, but that's all speculation at this point

Alternatively, they get the CARS score to narrow it down to some number higher than 450, but less than total # of applicants (obviously closer to 450, so like 128 CARS), and the rest is determined by the ABS. 

Based on the wording, I just feel like they're applying the ABS:

"Effective July 2018, we will be incorporating a more holistic approach towards applicants to Schulich Medicine.  Emphasis will be not only on academics but also on non-academic traits and life experiences, ensuring our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion."

But like you said, it's all speculation and Western is a crapshoot for predicting this sort of stuff :-) 

1 hour ago, Gironomo said:

Alternatively, they get the CARS score to narrow it down to some number higher than 450, but less than total # of applicants (obviously closer to 450, so like 128 CARS), and the rest is determined by the ABS. 

Based on the wording, I just feel like they're applying the ABS:

"Effective July 2018, we will be incorporating a more holistic approach towards applicants to Schulich Medicine.  Emphasis will be not only on academics but also on non-academic traits and life experiences, ensuring our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion."

But like you said, it's all speculation and Western is a crapshoot for predicting this sort of stuff :-) 

I feel like if it does have an impact on cutoffs, it won't necessarily be a hard cutoff for CARS.  I say this because 128 vs 129 is 89 and 95 percentile respectively.  Dropping CARS to 128 essentially doubles the applicant pool assuming the percentile ranks is reflective of the Canadian Pre-med population.  This would net you a lot more than closer to 1000 students by reducing just 1 category of the MCAT.  

My most suspected mechanism for the aABS this year is still that it'll be used as a red flag criteria like the reference letters, or that this is a test year.  However, another case that they may work is perhaps taking a broader look at students who are very close to the cutoffs.  Take for the example the 129-128 CARS "cutoff".  I put cutoffs in quotations because that is the keyword here.  The cutoff will still be 129 CARS assuming status quo, BUT for students who do have 128 CARS and showing extenuating circumstances or distinguishing features in their aABS, they'll be offered an interview based on a case-to-case basis.  The official cutoffs are still 129 for CARS in this example, but a distinguishing few may be granted an interview.  Now apply this to the other academic aspects such as CP/BB/PS MCAT scores or GPA, and I can totally see a role of of the aABS fitting in here.  This wouldn't impact the interview pool number drastically as maybe they'll offer something like 50 additional "hollistic" interviews in addition to the regular 450, making for an even 500 interviewee.  This way they can satisfy their objective of being more hollistic, not upset their nominal applicant pool and minimize any additional pre-interview selection workload.  

4 hours ago, Apex said:

I feel like if it does have an impact on cutoffs, it won't necessarily be a hard cutoff for CARS.  I say this because 128 vs 129 is 89 and 95 percentile respectively.  Dropping CARS to 128 essentially doubles the applicant pool assuming the percentile ranks is reflective of the Canadian Pre-med population.  This would net you a lot more than closer to 1000 students by reducing just 1 category of the MCAT.  

My most suspected mechanism for the aABS this year is still that it'll be used as a red flag criteria like the reference letters, or that this is a test year.  However, another case that they may work is perhaps taking a broader look at students who are very close to the cutoffs.  Take for the example the 129-128 CARS "cutoff".  I put cutoffs in quotations because that is the keyword here.  The cutoff will still be 129 CARS assuming status quo, BUT for students who do have 128 CARS and showing extenuating circumstances or distinguishing features in their aABS, they'll be offered an interview based on a case-to-case basis.  The official cutoffs are still 129 for CARS in this example, but a distinguishing few may be granted an interview.  Now apply this to the other academic aspects such as CP/BB/PS MCAT scores or GPA, and I can totally see a role of of the aABS fitting in here.  This wouldn't impact the interview pool number drastically as maybe they'll offer something like 50 additional "hollistic" interviews in addition to the regular 450, making for an even 500 interviewee.  This way they can satisfy their objective of being more hollistic, not upset their nominal applicant pool and minimize any additional pre-interview selection workload. 

Well said, but I don't think they'll consider anyone under the cut-offs, or else they wouldn't be cut-offs, but that's an interesting thought, it would add another layer of screening and would really push the holistic approach they're trying to take.

2 minutes ago, infinity101 said:

on a side note, do you all think this will have an impact on conditional acceptance? 

Or will conditional be left as it is? 

like any new change with no information yet people are going to speculate all over the place - makes sense really considering how rule obsessed the system makes you, and then ha in cases like there gaps which people would love to fill somehow. I beat this point no one, not even the school, fully knows how this will play out. They usually go over cut offs so late in the game that they don't have to bother being exact for some time. 

That being said there are things we do know - for this year at least nothing will change, and with an of the other big changes in the past they have also left it alone. 

Again this is speculation, but doesn't it seem unlikely that Western is going to read 2700+ abbreviated sketches and use it to make the interview decision by January? Especially since they are 9-10 essays of ~400 words each and scoring them is quite a subjective (and therefore lengthy) process. Even the U of T essays are half the length. If they apply the cutoffs first and say they lower CARS to 128, that's still  quite a lot of sketches to read in 2.5 months. It would make more sense they'd want to assess each one carefully throughout the entire process, I mean, the university is the one paying for it. I personally think the cutoffs are gonna stay the same and the aABS is going to serve the same purpose the OMSAS sketch and reference letters serve now, strictly post interview.

Oh and by the way, I emailed the admissions office, and they confirmed that the interview will remain unchanged (ie remain closed-file)

48 minutes ago, bparking said:

Again this is speculation, but doesn't it seem unlikely that Western is going to read 2700+ abbreviated sketches and use it to make the interview decision by January? Especially since they are 9-10 essays of ~400 words each and scoring them is quite a subjective (and therefore lengthy) process. Even the U of T essays are half the length. If they apply the cutoffs first and say they lower CARS to 128, that's still  quite a lot of sketches to read in 2.5 months. It would make more sense they'd want to assess each one carefully throughout the entire process, I mean, the university is the one paying for it. I personally think the cutoffs are gonna stay the same and the aABS is going to serve the same purpose the OMSAS sketch and reference letters serve now, strictly post interview.

Oh and by the way, I emailed the admissions office, and they confirmed that the interview will remain unchanged (ie remain closed-file)

From the website:

To ensure a holistic approach, in addition to grades and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores, we will be requiring applicants to complete an Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch to help us determine who should be selected for interviews.

2 hours ago, Gironomo said:

From the website:

To ensure a holistic approach, in addition to grades and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores, we will be requiring applicants to complete an Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch to help us determine who should be selected for interviews.

You're right. Weird that it's there so plainly on the website but when I emailed them specifically about this, they wouldn't confirm if it was pre- or post-interview. I guess we won't know for sure till January

9 hours ago, bparking said:

You're right. Weird that it's there so plainly on the website but when I emailed them specifically about this, they wouldn't confirm if it was pre- or post-interview. I guess we won't know for sure till January

Another alternative is that maybe the aABS is reviewed for people who meet total MCAT cut off, but not necessarily all the section cut offs (CARS), similar to how they do SWOMEN.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:47 PM, DarkRoastBlaq said:

If you're not SWOMEN I would not bank on the cutoffs lowering. Admissions are only getting more competitive and this new criterion is a testament to that. Just my $0.02.

but not banking doesn't mean on not applying though. Sure the odds aren't super great but if you are close the risk/cost is minimal

11 minutes ago, LloydRedStan said:

Another alternative is that maybe the aABS is reviewed for people who meet total MCAT cut off, but not necessarily all the section cut offs (CARS), similar to how they do SWOMEN.

ha, true - I mean there are a ton of possibilities here. 

The wording of the website also may not be exactly what they are going to do either - there have been many times that schools including Western have been SLIGHTLY off on this or simply not telling the entire story. Particularly with new rules and rapidly changing situations.