Premed 101 Forums

Chances for OOP

Hi everyone,

I recently got rejected from my IP school, which doesn't seem to value the MCAT or pre-file scoring after the interview process. I figured because of my high stats that I had a good chance, so it was pretty upsetting. I'm just wondering what kinds of odds OOP applicants are up against at U of M to figure out whether it's worth applying here, as I know that they weigh the MCAT heavily. Does anyone know what percentage of OOP interviewees get in? Also, do I have a really good shot with a 526/4.48 MCAT/GPA, despite being OOP?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Your scores are excellent, you will very likely get an interview, provided you do well in CASPer. If so, unless you fail the interview, you will likely get an acceptance. From what I hear most OOP applicants reject their offers as they also get accepted by their IP schools (and U of M is the last to announce it's acceptances) and choose to study there. Even though they take a small number of OOP in the final class, a lot of OOP students on the wait list are offered positions. Best of luck to you!

Hi @Llamastan! I was in a similar position to you this past cycle. I got into U of M and U of S this year as an OOP (rejected IP by Alberta post-interview this year and last year) with 523/4.5, so I think you would have a great shot at both schools. I will be attending U of M in the fall. You will definitely get an interview at U of S and you're still in a good spot for U of M as long as you have a good CASPer (honestly disappointed that they introduced this). U of M probably has a higher post-interview acceptance rate as they interview less people (~20) and failing is rare, whereas Sask interviews 36 people but 30-40% outright fail the interview and are not waitlisted or accepted.

On 8/4/2018 at 6:12 PM, Glass Cannon Applicant said:

Hi @Llamastan! I was in a similar position to you this past cycle. I got into U of M and U of S this year as an OOP (rejected IP by Alberta post-interview this year and last year) with 523/4.5, so I think you would have a great shot at both schools. I will be attending U of M in the fall. You will definitely get an interview at U of S and you're still in a good spot for U of M as long as you have a good CASPer (honestly disappointed that they introduced this). U of M probably has a higher post-interview acceptance rate as they interview less people (~20) and failing is rare, whereas Sask interviews 36 people but 30-40% outright fail the interview and are not waitlisted or accepted.

On 8/4/2018 at 9:32 AM, Medjaz said:

Your scores are excellent, you will very likely get an interview, provided you do well in CASPer. If so, unless you fail the interview, you will likely get an acceptance. From what I hear most OOP applicants reject their offers as they also get accepted by their IP schools (and U of M is the last to announce it's acceptances) and choose to study there. Even though they take a small number of OOP in the final class, a lot of OOP students on the wait list are offered positions. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the reassurance both of you and congrats on getting in! I'm hoping that the MCAT will give me a bit of wiggle room on the CASPer with regards to getting an interview. I regret not applying here before they introduced it though. 

Archived