Premed 101 Forums

How to make your application "stand out"?

Hey everyone! 

As I am currently wallowing in my tears, I feel completely lost on how to make my application "stand out". In my opinion, I feel a high majority of applicants have essentially the exact same ECs: hospital, research, president of clubs, etc. I find it difficult knowing that I have to be "unique", and simultaneously feeling that no one will remember me as an applicant if the admissions board were to review it. 

I would welcome any insights (you can also pm as well :) ). Thank-you so much for your time and generosity. 

p.s. I genuinely apologize for this annoying and probably very repetitive question - I just don't know who else to ask.

I found after countless MMI/MPI practices, that the people who I remembered were those who were passionate about what they were doing. I used my passion towards my ECs and such to create more compelling stories... both in writing and verbally.

Many people tend to just write down or say everything they have done... and in my mind, that is not "unique". Emphasize the things your are proud of, the things you care about, the things that bother you and you would like to see changed. This is how  I stood out in my app.

41 minutes ago, whaddup said:

I feel completely lost on how to make my application "stand out". In my opinion, I feel a high majority of applicants have essentially the exact same ECs

I would welcome any insights (you can also pm as well :) ). Thank-you so much for your time and generosity. 

This is "marketing", a skill you are not taught. It is an art you will develop. Indeed, the words you use can  make an important difference. Don't wallow in tears, instead practice makes perfect. Back in the day, I devoted over 100 hours to my essay and every word was carefully weighed. You must do the same with the ABS which has severe limitations. Spend time improving the wording, let CanMEDS competencies be your guide.

Archived