Premed 101 Forums

Who Sees Which Marks?

So I'm almost finished first year of a program at centennial college and I decided to switch out to UofT for Health Science. My CGPA was 3.5 for first and second term but my program is tri-semester. When I got my acceptance to UofT, I already started my third semester and I'm basically failing everything just to get thru it (can't drop out for OSAP reasons). There's no conditions to my offer but just a thought... will med schools see my transcripts/grades from my 1 year at college? or is it only from my 4-year undergraduate degree? 

Typically med schools will require transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you’ve attended, including college.

Depending on the institution you apply to, there are sometimes ways to make up for a bad year or two of grades in the GPA calculation. Some schools drop your worst year, or use the most recent two years, etc.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

So I'm almost finished first year of a program at centennial college and I decided to switch out to UofT for Health Science. My CGPA was 3.5 for first and second term but my program is tri-semester. When I got my acceptance to UofT, I already started my third semester and I'm basically failing everything just to get thru it (can't drop out for OSAP reasons). There's no conditions to my offer but just a thought... will med schools see my transcripts/grades from my 1 year at college? or is it only from my 4-year undergraduate degree? 

You'll have to send in the transcript but the grades most likely won't count towards your GPA since they were taken at college. Especially in Ontario, usually only undergraduate courses count. So you should be fine GPA wise, you'll still have a clean start. Goodluck :)

1 hour ago, caramilk said:

You'll have to send in the transcript but the grades most likely won't count towards your GPA since they were taken at college. Especially in Ontario, usually only undergraduate courses count. So you should be fine GPA wise, you'll still have a clean start. Goodluck :)

Yes, this is the case I believe for most schools, but not a bad idea to email each school to ask. What I could potentially see a fail on a college transcript doing is raising a flag for the admissions committee. That being said, OP try not to worry too much and start working on that "upward trend" that demonstrates you reacted to course failure with a determined effort to do better in your future courses. 

I took a "Trades" program in college and did pretty bad (3.0/4.0 GPA). In my interview, they were interested in how my college courses were part of my path to medicine, but did not question me on the bad marks! :)

1 hour ago, Executive-D said:

I took a "Trades" program in college and did pretty bad (3.0/4.0 GPA). In my interview, they were interested in how my college courses were part of my path to medicine, but did not question me on the bad marks! :)

Yeah, my program is in nursing right now... so I can definitely see them asking about it. I just don't want it to impact my GPA when applying and eliminate my chances of even getting an interview.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Yeah, my program is in nursing right now... so I can definitely see them asking about it. I just don't want it to impact my GPA when applying and eliminate my chances of even getting an interview.

Just because it’s a college does not necessarily mean the classes won’t be included in the GPA. It depends on the college / program you’re coming from .

If you’re in a program that is a nursing diploma, then those courses likely wouldn’t be included in the GPA calculation. But some college programs include university-level courses. Any university transferable courses would count towards your GPA for all of the med schools I am familiar with. So if you’re not able to transfer any of your courses for any sort of credit at UotT then they likely won’t count in the GPA, but if they do transfer then they will count.

There seems to be some discrepancy here. From OMSAS:
https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-gpa-calculations/

The following are not normally included in the OMSAS GPA:

• college courses (even if transfer credit is granted)

When it comes down to it, what other people have said is important though - you definitely need to contact each school. There might be more information on each school's website, specifically on their policy for college courses but you should email your situation just to make sure. Otherwise, this could make a huge difference in your GPA. 

3 hours ago, caramilk said:

The following are not normally included in the OMSAS GPA:

• college courses (even if transfer credit is granted)

Ah, that’s good to know. At all the schools in western Canada that I am familiar with, transferable courses tend to be included in the calculation. So that’s a big difference.

6 hours ago, caramilk said:

When it comes down to it, what other people have said is important though - you definitely need to contact each school. There might be more information on each school's website, specifically on their policy for college courses but you should email your situation just to make sure. Otherwise, this could make a huge difference in your GPA. 

I did ask the UofT registrar after I got my acceptance if I could transfer any credits in hopes of shortening my program and they said I couldn't. I will check each schools website though just to be safe!

Archived