Premed 101 Forums

UBC DMD English Prerequisite Dilemma.

Hi All, 

So I am missing 3 credits of English for UBC DMD program. I am going back to school this year therefore I can take an English course to fulfill their requirement. However, I have taken numerous humanities courses where most of the course consisted to writing Essays. I am thinking may be I can use those courses to fulfill the English requirement but there is no way of me knowing whether or not UBC will accept this prior to applying. To be honest, I really don’t want to take another English course this year because it just isn’t my forte! Can I still qualify for an English Exemption test if things didn’t work out? 

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

They are very clear regarding prerequisites. I took this from their website (http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admission-requirements/). They suggest some courses (English Courses chart: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2018/06/Acceptable-English-Courses-from-All-Canadian-post-secondary-institutions-2018-2019.pdf)  that you can take in several institutions, however, if you still have doubts they ask you to email them.

English Requirement

All applicants must complete 6 credits of English coursework by April 30 of the year of entry into medical school (April 30, 2018 for the 2017/2018 application cycle). English courses should be offered through an English department and should consist of two semesters of literature or one semester of literature plus one semester of composition (academic writing). Social science and humanities courses do not count toward the English requirement, nor do theses in any subject area.

Courses in technical writing, report writing, business writing, creative writing, linguistics, media studies, and film studies are not accepted toward the English requirement. Courses with titles like “Reading Popular Culture” are accepted on a case-by-case basis only if there is a clearly identifiable and significant literary component. Traditional literature courses focusing on a particular time period, location, or group of writers are generally accepted, as are genre courses such as Children’s Literature and Science Fiction. However, please see the English Courses Chart to confirm, and email the course syllabus to the Admissions Office if the course is not listed.

English courses should have a workload equivalent to similar courses at UBC, including at least one research paper of five or more pages, an additional essay assignment, and a final exam.

Our English Courses Chart lists acceptable English courses from most Canadian universities and BC colleges. If you have a question about a course that is not listed on the chart, please email us. The chart was last updated July 22, 2016.

Final authority regarding course equivalency rests with academic advisors in the Faculty of Medicine and is only available after your application has been submitted and evaluated by an academic advisor.

Just shoot them an email. I've only done one english as well but one of my minors was in history -- I just emailed a bunch of schools and asked if one of my histories could count towards an english (I had a bunch of upper level history classes that required extensive reading,research, and writing). Alberta said no, Manitoba said yes (I think? [ didn't end up applying there]), Buffalo said yes, and Dal said yes (although Dal required a history professor to corroborate that many of the same skills were required/taught).

Hope that helps

Archived