Premed 101 Forums

When a resident tells you to go home?

18 hours ago, bloh said:

I don't think any residents have any ulterior motives. If they're sending you home, it's either because there's really nothing left to do (or there's scutwork that only they can really do) or because they want you to go because they're in a bad mood/not in the mood to teach/just want to be alone. Just go home.

"Overkeeness" would be highly dependent on each resident/staff. For me, asking a million questions, just for the sake of asking questions "and looking interested" drove me nuts.

Okay, so just be normal essentially what you’re saying lol. Easy peasy. :)

On 7/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, IMislove said:

I know I’m just entering the system, but what would you consider “extra keen”. Like asking if there is something you can help with or fill out? Or that’s a good amount of keen? Thanks, just trying to gauge what’s “extra” in med compared to my previous career where most people are not that keen on volunteering for things lol.

Being interested is fine. Helping out is fine. Asking if you can help is fine.

However, overly keen, IMO, is more like:

- saying stuff like ''oh wow so cool. oh wow amazing'' to everything

- constantly fake smiling

- asking too many questions

- being such a gunner that you are pushing other students around

- trying way too hard to impress

9 minutes ago, Arztin said:

I'll be honest this kinda made me cringe because I still find myself doing this sometimes just to hide the fact that I'm dead inside

...right, this thread's about happy things like going home early. My bad. Sorry to be a party pooper.

3 minutes ago, Hanmari said:

I'll be honest this kinda made me cringe because I still find myself doing this sometimes just to hide the fact that I'm dead inside

...right, this thread's about happy things like going home early. My bad. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Again that's just me. It probably doesn't bother many people.

Yeah, I guess the common theme here is that you should be working hard and looking for ways to contribute because that's part of who you are - a team player who's dedicated to becoming a better physician, not someone who's primarily interested in making a good impression for their evaluation. I don't know how well preceptors can tell true from fake enthusiasm; likely most prefer a smiling face to a long one, although attempts to outshine other students may rub the team the wrong way.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:51 PM, Arztin said:

Honestly this alone is infuriating enough...... this is the one time where we can really help our colleagues out and everyone benefit... I see this on occasion and it baffles me why people think it's in their best interest to do so. 

- G

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in psych so this may not apply to all specialties. When I dismiss a student it's because there is nothing more they can do that day to help me and I would rather maximize their time off to do their own thing rather than hang around. As a clerk I was led to believe the same. 

4 hours ago, Birdy said:

I now feel a bit bad that I didn’t send my med student (small site. I’ve only had the one) home early on any of the days he was working with me. 

Hopefully that just meant good learning!

I recall a call shift when the attending says to the resident "looks like theres no other appropriate patients for msi to see..and they've done a great job. They're under your control but looks like an early night for MSI"

Resident didnt dismiss me for another 40mins.. Where I literally stood behind them while they charted.

I think personally, it's important that the medical student realizes (in a positive way) that sometimes, there's no more learning to be done. When I'm sending someone home, it's not because he/she did a bad job, it's just I need to focus on my role in service as well. 

For me, if you've helped out with clinic, you've worked hard, and I've set aside some 1-on-1 teaching, then afterwards you should go home when I dismiss you. 

I've got other things to do - dictations, answering pages, I want to just relax as well. I don't want to give scutwork either, and it's hard to always find something to talk to or teach. 

It can be really hard to balance handling pages/patients with a keen med student constantly over your shoulder. I didn't realize when I was a med student, but as a resident the juggling gets a lot more difficult. Sometimes the best students on elective know when to take a hint. 

Honestly when I was a medical student I was slightly uncomfortable going home whenever I wasn't explicitly told I could, so I'm hyperaware of it now and try to tell all my med students to go home as early as I can, because I've been there and I know how it is. So I genuinely mean it when I tell you you can go home.

Archived