Premed 101 Forums

Days a week at QMed

Hi all, I had a question I wanted to ask for Qmed school. Would it be possible to hope that for the first two years at Queens, I would be able to condense my classes into 4 days max, so I can go home for the other three days? 

I get home sick often and want to know if that is possible. I don't mind skipping non mandatory lectures, I usually learn better on my own. 

Thanks

7 hours ago, Bawgg said:

Hehe, sorry, I heard the curriculum was changing to allow for more personal time to explore more extracurriculars. Would anyone who's been accepted be able to give me an update? Thanks

Where’d you hear that from? Our curriculum looks the same as last years as we have the same classes, just haven’t got the schedule yet but we would have a shitty time if everything got condensed to 4 days so it looks like it’ll probably be the same.

You should really focus on gaining some resiliency, independence, and additional skills. Going home so frequently won't be possible in clerkship and residency and if you have such debilitating anxiety that a year later you're still having the same fears, that doesn't bode too well imo. 

I would strongly suggest seeking counseling. 

42 minutes ago, AM22476 said:

You should really focus on gaining some resiliency, independence, and additional skills. Going home so frequently won't be possible in clerkship and residency and if you have such debilitating anxiety that a year later you're still having the same fears, that doesn't bode too well imo. 

I would strongly suggest seeking counseling. 

I agree with these sentiments. Preclerkship is one thing, clerkship/residency is another beast entirely. Gaining the ability to being on your own, and being able to handle stress is super important. That’s why resiliency is such a big part of the admissions process, whether it’s essays or interview or something. Having a support system is important, but you definitely need to be able to rely on yourself too. I wish you luck in tackling these issues OP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 7:30 AM, IMislove said:

Where’d you hear that from? Our curriculum looks the same as last years as we have the same classes, just haven’t got the schedule yet but we would have a shitty time if everything got condensed to 4 days so it looks like it’ll probably be the same.

He's partially right, we'll tell you guys about it during O Week or just message me 

From what I see on our schedule, it looks like some fridays just have DIL (directed independent learning), so it seems in a way we do sometimes have Friday's "off" from physical class at least. Not all of them though. Luckily Fridays seem very chill compared to the rest of the week which is nice :D.

Are you an incoming Med student? Schedules are posted in Medtech if so, at least for the first semester.

• 2 months later...

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I just checked this post. No, I am not an incoming student but i am hopeful for next year.

Would you be able to post the schedule for the first semester here please? I wanna see a more detailed breakdown

On 10/8/2018 at 1:59 PM, Bawgg said:

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I just checked this post. No, I am not an incoming student but i am hopeful for next year.

Would you be able to post the schedule for the first semester here please? I wanna see a more detailed breakdown

Schedule changes from week to week. Some weeks are very DIL heavy (i.e. more flexible schedule), some weeks are very lecture/SGL heavy (i.e. not super flexible for scheduling).

I don't think focusing on the day-to-day schedule at various schools is the most productive use of your time right now though if I'm being honest...

Archived