Premed 101 Forums

Importance of doing electives at a particular school for FM matching

Question about applying to FM residency programs: how important is it to do an elective at a particular school if you're interested in applying there?

Ideally I would like to stay in Ontario for residency, but want do at least one OOP elective just to be on the safe side and expand my options. In terms of OOP options for residency, I am most interested in Dal. Obviously it would be best to do an elective at Dal given my preference, but if this isn't possible, would an elective out West at least show that I'm willing to travel out of province? Or would it have no benefit for applications to the Maritimes? Has anyone done only IP electives and still gotten interviews OOP? 

Thanks!

On 7/19/2018 at 7:44 AM, callmeswags said:

Question about applying to FM residency programs: how important is it to do an elective at a particular school if you're interested in applying there?

Ideally I would like to stay in Ontario for residency, but want do at least one OOP elective just to be on the safe side and expand my options. In terms of OOP options for residency, I am most interested in Dal. Obviously it would be best to do an elective at Dal given my preference, but if this isn't possible, would an elective out West at least show that I'm willing to travel out of province? Or would it have no benefit for applications to the Maritimes? Has anyone done only IP electives and still gotten interviews OOP? 

Thanks!

If you want to receive the maximum number of interviews for West Coast FM programs, I would advise do at least one FM elective at UBC, Alberta to show your willingness to move for residency. However, I didn't do any elective in the West, and got UBC FM interviews. It's totally up to you!

If you do well in clerkship and has no red flags, matching to Ontario FM residency should be fairly easy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just adding a related question here:

I am in a similar position of being interested in residency at Dal but being unable to secure an elective there. Would doing an elective at MUN at least show interest in the region, or is that not relevant? The consensus seems to be that it shouldn't really matter, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone had any additional input! 

Archived