Premed 101 Forums

Working while in PT school? Is it possible?

Hey everyone! 

I'm feeling a little anxious about the expenses regarding PT school. I'm starting my MScPt at Uoft and will be moving to Downtown Toronto starting the school year. 

The cost of living is so high in Toronto, and tuition racked up over $600. It seems as if my OSAP will only be covering my tuition and cost of living. 

I feel as if I have no other choice but to work during the year, which is fine, except that I have classes from 8/9- 4/5 every day. 

Is anyone working while in PT school? How difficult is it to do so? 

I would say the majority of students that need money on top of OSAP took out a line of credit from either RBC or Scotiabank when I was in school. However, UofT does understand the cost of living is high and there was a bursary given to students called UTAPS (unsure if the name has changed) which can be a few thousand dollars or more (or less if you’re living at home).  Working during school would be very difficult because on top of the 8 hour day at school there is often a lot of outside studying, group work, and hands-on practice that takes up a lot of time.  That being said, a handful of people had flexible jobs (personal training, promotional work) that they could work around in their off time so it is possible! Hope that helped!

Like Pt247 mentioned, a student line of credit might be a good option so that you don't have to stress about a job during school. Many banks (ie CIBC, RBC, Scotia) give up to $80,000 for a physiotherapist student, at low interest rates (around 3-4% if I recall correctly), and don't have to start paying back until 6-12 months after graduation. A part-time job is possible and people have done it; you will just have a busier schedule on top of an already very busy schedule haha. 

Archived