Premed 101 Forums

Dentist in the canadian forces / army

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, obiwankenobi said:

Thanks, sdematt! Would you recommend this route? Do you plan on being a military dentist until retirement? 

MAYBE. I'm not sure yet, but the work atmosphere is great. I have zero stress at work, going to work, etc. I don't think about work when I'm not at work, etc. You can be a dentist without your life being all about teeth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 12:30 PM, sdematt said:

So I came across this as I was researching my recruiting seminar.

So, I went through the DOTP and am now practicing at a major care center in the CAF. If you guys have questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you @sdematt! How long does BMOQ take? And is it done in one summer or over two? Seeing my dental school timeline, it seems like I am only getting 13 or 14 weeks of summer. I heard bootcamp is 15 weeks. 

I did mine all at once, at the end of dental school (and therefore, got paid as a dentist to do basic, not a student #notsorry). Usually it's done over two summers, one being 8 weekss, one being 7, or 12 all at once. 

They'll split you up, you'll do your 7 weeks, you'll likely take 2-3 weeks of vacation (paid), and then do OJT - on the job training -  at a base somewhere. Maybe you'll cut teeth, maybe you'll do scaling, or maybe you'll shuffle papers. But you'll get paid to do it, so it's not bad. 

so they have actually shortened the basic training.. it used to be 7 weeks and then 8 weeks (what I did) as stated above

Last year the 1st part was only 5 weeks and apparently, they are looking at shortening the 2nd part as well.   that being said at a lot of dental schools you may be able to complete the full basic in one go

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 11:58 PM, sdematt said:

I did mine all at once, at the end of dental school (and therefore, got paid as a dentist to do basic, not a student #notsorry). Usually it's done over two summers, one being 8 weekss, one being 7, or 12 all at once. 

They'll split you up, you'll do your 7 weeks, you'll likely take 2-3 weeks of vacation (paid), and then do OJT - on the job training -  at a base somewhere. Maybe you'll cut teeth, maybe you'll do scaling, or maybe you'll shuffle papers. But you'll get paid to do it, so it's not bad. 

@sdematt, @ottawaliquid

do they give you options as to when you can do basic training?

On 2/8/2019 at 1:30 PM, sdematt said:

So I came across this as I was researching my recruiting seminar.

So, I went through the DOTP and am now practicing at a major care center in the CAF. If you guys have questions, feel free to ask.

are dental officers ever stationed in dangerous countries/warzones? what inherent risks are involved, if any?

On 8/10/2018 at 6:44 PM, Futur3 said:

It is competitive now. The reason being is the recent increase in salary, incentives, etc. Not only does the CAF pay for your entire tuition (approx $200,000), they also pay you a salary while you are in dental school (approx $50,000 per year if I'm not mistaken), plus a guaranteed job post-graduation for which salary begins at $130,000 approximately. Then there's also benefits, pension, and possibility to specialize with the CAF. Also keep in mind, tuition for dental school is a lot more now days versus the past. Similar situation currently exist in the US military, where they now look at your DAT/GPA to become a dental officer. Of course like with any decision, there are cons as well. 

Could you elaborate on all the "cons" - this is all very insightful

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, dent987 said:

Would anyone mind elaborating on what the interview is like? I'm especially curious to know if we are asked a lot about current events! I've been trying to find more information online, but there's not much out there! Anything would really help! Thank you!

To add to this, does anyone know the best time to apply to the military program? And how competitive is it? I can't find much information about the program

• 8 months later...

@sdematt @ottawaliquid Hey guys, I am an internationally trained dentist and am also planning on joining the DOTP. My goal first is to challenge NDEB's AFK and then apply to a Dental School, particularly the U of A Advanced Placement. Any updates you guys could give me? Do you find it still very competitive to join the DOTP, particularly after 3rd year Dental School???

Thanks,

morenoDDS

@sdematt @ottawaliquid Hey guys, I am an internationally trained dentist and am also planning on joining the DOTP. My goal first is to challenge NDEB's AFK and then apply to a Dental School, particularly the U of A Advanced Placement. Any updates you guys could give me? Do you find it still very competitive to join the DOTP, particularly after 3rd year Dental School???

Thanks,

morenoDDS

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@sdematt @ottawaliquid

Hi I am a student entering 1st year dentistry this Fall and I am considering applying to the military. 

It sounds like students are required to do about 12-13 weeks of training during summers off. Are there any other requirements during school?

Once you graduate and become a dental officer how often do you move and do you have a say in where you are stationed?