Premed 101 Forums

Stressed AAMC resources (CARS). Need some advice

Michael98

Hey guys,

So, I'm about two 1/2 weeks out until my MCAT (August 16th) & I have stressed all of my AAMC CARS material. I have been able to re-do some passages because I completely forgot them, however, other passages I can remember all of the answers. I've completed all AAMC practice tests, and this is my first time writing so I'm not sure how I can maintain priming myself for the CARS section when I have stressed all of my material. I still have some other 3rd party sources for passages (TPR,Kaplan) however, I read not to do them so close to your MCAT and maintain the AAMC mindset. If you guys have any recommendations for me on what to do I would really appreciate that as I am a first-time writer.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:21 AM, Michael98 said:

Hey guys,

So, I'm about two 1/2 weeks out until my MCAT (August 16th) & I have stressed all of my AAMC CARS material. I have been able to re-do some passages because I completely forgot them, however, other passages I can remember all of the answers. I've completed all AAMC practice tests, and this is my first time writing so I'm not sure how I can maintain priming myself for the CARS section when I have stressed all of my material. I still have some other 3rd party sources for passages (TPR,Kaplan) however, I read not to do them so close to your MCAT and maintain the AAMC mindset. If you guys have any recommendations for me on what to do I would really appreciate that as I am a first-time writer.

I think the advice to keep the material most similar to the real test for last is a good advice in general, but less so for CARS. Since you don't have to remember anything, what counts the most is the process, the technique of reading, understanding and answering. TPR Hyperlearning was pretty good I thought, and so was EK 101 passages (although some answers were not following quite the same type of reasoning as AAMC. Gut feeling!). Time yourself and do it like the real exam. If you know you can get a good score on the AAMC material, just keep working out on any passage.

To be honest you might have peaked a little early in your prep. I would recommend writing the last AAMC exam on the same week of the actual test. But you'll be fine!

On 7/30/2018 at 3:09 PM, vicpremed said:

Have you tried UWORLD MCAT? You can sign up for a free trial and they have an entire section bank of questions for all sections including CARS that are very similar to the AAMC material. Khan Academy also has a free CARS question bank.

Yes, I have also done UWORLD.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, jul059 said:

I think the advice to keep the material most similar to the real test for last is a good advice in general, but less so for CARS. Since you don't have to remember anything, what counts the most is the process, the technique of reading, understanding and answering. TPR Hyperlearning was pretty good I thought, and so was EK 101 passages (although some answers were not following quite the same type of reasoning as AAMC. Gut feeling!). Time yourself and do it like the real exam. If you know you can get a good score on the AAMC material, just keep working out on any passage.

To be honest you might have peaked a little early in your prep. I would recommend writing the last AAMC exam on the same week of the actual test. But you'll be fine!

Hm, I see what you are saying. Yeah I guess I should have waited a little bit longer but I guess I was a little impatient. I still do JW practice passages everyday, and I have actually found a better technique that works in CARS which I had not previously used during the practice tests in AAMC. So, that kind of bummed me out since I can't apply this to a fresh new aamc test. I do find that I have improved since those tests so I guess we'l just have to wait and see! I read that some people actually re-do the aamc tests as a sort of ego-boost prior to their MCAT.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:21 AM, Michael98 said:

Hey guys,

I have found the Altius tests to be pretty similar to the AAMC ones if you have not done those. I have heard nextstep is pretty similar as well. There's good threads on reddit reviewing the quality of different materials for different sections.

Archived