Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

The U of M website just announced that they are implementing the CASPer for this years admission. I'm curious as to what people think about this, and whether anyone knows any more information - e.g. how much it will be worth.

I for one am really upset with this, as it adds an element of randomness and uncertainty to an admissions process that was previously transparent. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to what I've read, the proposed change was that selection for interview will be: 20% AGPA, 50% MCAT, 30% CASPer. For selection of interviewed applicants it will be: 15% AGPA, 40% MCAT, 35% MMI, 15% CASPer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M38rYNWiSbtFISsDVn25ybd8OJonz2dWRA9Srw7cW_U/edit

This is according to the senate report from U of M's Science Student's Association

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, shazam said:

It's stupid and pointless (other than stealing from our pockets and giving a new stream of revenue for the univer$ity)

 

From what I've read we don't even get our scores released to us ( I might be wrong) which is ridiculous considering it's worth a good chunk of our application. Not to mention how they haven't even formally announced it, yet they're making it a requirement for the upcoming intake. Why not announce it now and wait for next year's intake so people are actually prepared for the test + have the ability to schedule a date & time for the casper test

 

 

When I wrote CaSPER, I wrote it in the fall, so you still have quite a bit of time to practice and prep.

And technically, since the announced it now, it is still fair for Manitoban applicants, as all the applicants found out at the same time. There will be a similar amount of preparation across most applicants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, InstantRamen said:

When I wrote CaSPER, I wrote it in the fall, so you still have quite a bit of time to practice and prep.

And technically, since the announced it now, it is still fair for Manitoban applicants, as all the applicants found out at the same time. There will be a similar amount of preparation across most applicants.

Did you find preparation was helpful? I winged it last year but I'm not sure how I did, though it apparently it wasn't well enough to get an interview at Mac. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Llamastan said:

Did you find preparation was helpful? I winged it last year but I'm not sure how I did, though it apparently it wasn't well enough to get an interview at Mac. 

Hi there! I prepped a fair amount. I took practise tests for a week. Mind you, I prepped for the MMI a lot in the previous year that I didn't get accepted, so the thoughts flowed quickly. I was focusing on the typing aspect of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I was very upset about the casper addition at first, but now that I have to take it (Manitoba is my number 1 choice at the moment) I'm also going to apply to a bunch of other schools in Ontario that require the test, along with those I am already applying to, which increases my options and improves my chances of getting in this year. Also the Casper takes out of the MMI worth which is a win for me since that's what hurt me the most in my application last year. I think overall it's a good thing..............unless I completely bomb it :blink:

Also when do you guys think the U of M will upload their application bulletin. Going off of last year the application portal should be opening up in about 10 days, but they have yet to update the bulletin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 7/30/2018 at 6:05 PM, shazam said:

It's stupid and pointless (other than stealing from our pockets and giving a new stream of revenue for the univer$ity)

 

From what I've read we don't even get our scores released to us ( I might be wrong) which is ridiculous considering it's worth a good chunk of our application. Not to mention how they haven't even formally announced it, yet they're making it a requirement for the upcoming intake. Why not announce it now and wait for next year's intake so people are actually prepared for the test + have the ability to schedule a date & time for the casper test

 

 

That's irrelevant - the University doesn't get money from this - just like how they don't get money for people writing the MCAT.

The new bulletin is up now FYI everyone, and the application portal is supposed to open by the end of the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 9:18 PM, Llamastan said:

Did you find preparation was helpful? I winged it last year but I'm not sure how I did, though it apparently it wasn't well enough to get an interview at Mac. 

DUDE PRACTICE! It's worth so much not to practice. Honestly, it's what got me into Mac, Alberta (OOP), waitlisted at Ottawa, and into McGill (OOP) with my low GPA. If you want to see how important it is for Mac, there's a calculator here. It would be similar-ish to Manitoba's calculation (Mac does 33% CARS, 33% GPA, 33% CASPer). Either way you'll realize how important it is to practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canada747 said:

DUDE PRACTICE! It's worth so much not to practice. Honestly, it's what got me into Mac, Alberta (OOP), waitlisted at Ottawa, and into McGill (OOP) with my low GPA. If you want to see how important it is for Mac, there's a calculator here. It would be similar-ish to Manitoba's calculation (Mac does 33% CARS, 33% GPA, 33% CASPer). Either way you'll realize how important it is to practice.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping the breakdown for U of manitoba helps mitigate the effect of the CASPer compared to Mac somewhat - for example, looking at 50% total MCAT scores rather than 33% CARS, and taking off worst courses for GPA. But yeah, 30% is still a good chunk pre-interview 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canada747 said:

DUDE PRACTICE! It's worth so much not to practice. Honestly, it's what got me into Mac, Alberta (OOP), waitlisted at Ottawa, and into McGill (OOP) with my low GPA. If you want to see how important it is for Mac, there's a calculator here. It would be similar-ish to Manitoba's calculation (Mac does 33% CARS, 33% GPA, 33% CASPer). Either way you'll realize how important it is to practice.

If you don't mind me asking, what is considered a low gpa?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigboydyo said:

u got an IV at uOttawa with a 3.80 cgpa? For the English stream or French? 

It was 3.89 Ottawa wGPA! English stream. CASPer is key. People do not believe me when I say CASPer makes all the difference. Feel free to message me if you want my advice and preferred practice tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently the AGPA is initially calculated from undergrad grades submitted by the application deadline; thereafter the AGPA is recalculated based on grades submitted after completion of courses between the time of application and completion of the academic year. However, the process of calculating the AGPA is work intensive and this causes delays in offers of admission while awaiting final grades. Now, the AGPA used in i) selection of applicants for interview and ii) selection of applicants for admission shall be calculated solely from grades identified in the official transcripts submitted by the app deadline.

 

This is also a big amendment, means that acceptances are going to be much earlier, grades post-app aren't going to change your AGPA, and if you haven't done 120credits by Sept, no removal of lowest 30 credits (really big imo b/c people tend to calculate AGPA when entering 4th year w 30 credits dropped). Essentially you have to finish your degree before getting 30 credits dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...