Premed 101 Forums

Procrastinating on starting my application

Are any other re-applicants in this boat? This is an exhausting process, and will be my 4th cycle applying. I am low-key dreading all the emails I need to send out to verifiers reminding them they may receive emails or phone calls from Sept til May... I wonder how many of them think I must be dumb since I can't get into med... :lol: not to mention my references for post-interview time (hoping I get another)... THEY must have some thoughts of their own :lol:

On top of this I will be applying through the OMSAS system for the first time in 3 years, so a bit of a learning curve and readjustment for activity descriptions.

Feeling pretty tired of this process but pushing forward anyways.

I guess the best way to look at it is as a step-by-step process. Slowly doing the application over a few weeks as opposed to trying to smash it all out in a few hours. I just don't want to look at the OAS again ever :lol:

*sigh* 4th round here we go!!

I can imagine the dread, but at least you have good starting grounds from your previous application! Not sure if this is good advice, but do you really need to re-notify your verifiers if they agreed to the year before? Maybe that's just my own perception that a year passes by quickly lol, and that I knew mine well enough to implicitly understand  they would help me through multiple cycles if needed. This doesn't apply to references of course. I'm sure your references know how difficult it is to get into med and should recognize this perseverance :)

OMSAS isn't too tricky, just a bit tedious. You're right that it's a step-by-step process! Just follow the guide one step at a time and it'll get done before your realize. Be thankful if you don't have lengthy essays to write for your applications! Everything you need to do is already clearly laid out for you on the site. You are not procrastinating if you tackle one section or part of a section each day. Good luck!

On 8/1/2018 at 5:52 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Are any other re-applicants in this boat? This is an exhausting process, and will be my 4th cycle applying. I am low-key dreading all the emails I need to send out to verifiers reminding them they may receive emails or phone calls from Sept til May... I wonder how many of them think I must be dumb since I can't get into med... :lol: not to mention my references for post-interview time (hoping I get another)... THEY must have some thoughts of their own :lol:

On top of this I will be applying through the OMSAS system for the first time in 3 years, so a bit of a learning curve and readjustment for activity descriptions.

Feeling pretty tired of this process but pushing forward anyways.

I guess the best way to look at it is as a step-by-step process. Slowly doing the application over a few weeks as opposed to trying to smash it all out in a few hours. I just don't want to look at the OAS again ever :lol:

*sigh* 4th round here we go!!

I’ve re-submitted for the early deadline, and trying to write the mcat again *sigh*. Do you mind if I ask what your NAQ was this year? I noticed you said it dropped two points despite adding activities :(. Would you mind sharing how extensive you thought they were? We’re they new or adding hours/responsibilities to previous activities? What the Frick..

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 6:12 PM, BioF said:

I’ve re-submitted for the early deadline, and trying to write the mcat again *sigh*. Do you mind if I ask what your NAQ was this year? I noticed you said it dropped two points despite adding activities :(. Would you mind sharing how extensive you thought they were? We’re they new or adding hours/responsibilities to previous activities? What the Frick..

Hey :) my NAQ was 32-33 or something. Dropped from 34-35. Extensive meaning I added hours, responsibility, and a few new activities. The applicant pool is different every year and likely influenced it.

Archived