Premed 101 Forums

21 hours ago, Pumpkin! said:

Hi everyone,

Could anyone advise as to whether I have a shot of getting an interview at Ottawa this year?

Currently a 4th year PhD student doing clinical research with +3.9 GPA, several first-author publications in major psychiatry journals, +$100,000 in scholarships.

BSc Undergrad GPA: 1st year 3.33; 2nd year 3.1; 3rd year 3.86; 4th year 3.97

EC: 2 years as residence advisor/don; teaching assistant; +2 years with mental health clubs; 3 years of exec student council for department; lots of clinical research exp 

Thanks!

Doing one more year or undergrad can boost the wGPA since you last 2 years are decent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 6:10 PM, Donald_Duck said:

For Ottawa / outaouais its 3.7, Quebec its 3.87 and the rest of the Canada you apply to the CNFS stream (also been 3.7 in recent years). You have to email admissions office to get most recent cutoffs though!

Mr Duck

If you are a french applicant outside of Ottawa, do you fall under the IP (3.7) category or is there another cutoff?

what is your cGPA and MCAT OP?

If you finish your PhD, McMaster gives you a +4%. Considering weighting of GPA/Verbal/CASPer is based on the pool of other applicants, getting 4% regardless of the applicant pool is a huge +++

I would also take a look at Calgary as I believe they convert GPA from grad school as an additional year of UG for GPA calculation.

Best of luck!

On 8/23/2018 at 1:03 AM, alokozay said:

If you are a french applicant outside of Ottawa, do you fall under the IP (3.7) category or is there another cutoff?

I believe it is still the Ottawa one (3.7) but you should double check with admissions! You are still considered a franco-ontariennnn (mon beau drapeau).

Mr Duck

• 2 weeks later...

Still it's crazy to think that even if you finish your PhD it's absolutely worthless for uOttawa if your undergrad is under the cut-off ... I'd love to study at this university, but I am not doing a second undergrad after my PhD to prove them I'm smart/hardworking enough...

Archived