Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Medical School chances?

What are my chances for the french stream uOttawa(CNFS) and the English stream? 

wGPA: 3.95   

Year: Just finished 2nd year and moving to 3rd year

ECs/Volunteering:

-Founder and Unit Leader of the campus Medical Response Team (1 year and 6 months).  

-President of MEDLIFE chapter (1 year) and member/executive for 3 years.  

-MEDLIFE volunteer trip to Cusco 2016.   

-Certified Medical First Responder (2 years)

-Hospital Volunteering (2 years)

-Taught elementary school students at Sunday school (1 year). 

-Shadowed 2 Cardiologists (20 hours) + Shadowed Pulmonologist 

-Student Journal Editor and Outreach member.  

Employment: Part time Medical Transcriptionist (1 year), Faculty of Biology Research assistant (16 weeks) as part of USRA, Faculty of Physics Research assistant (16 weeks) as part of USRA

Awards/Scholarships: 2 NSERC USRAs, Excellence in Teaching Award, Dean's List (2 times), Florence L.Murray Memorial Scholarship, Edwin Jacob Special University Scholarship, UNB Scholarship. 

I am hesitating between applying to the uOttawa English stream and French CNFS stream. I am perfectly bilingual, but I have studied my entire life in English so that is where I have the upper- hand. What would be my chances for the CNFS stream for this coming 2018-2019 application cycle? What would be my chances for the English stream? I would highly appreciate any response. 

If you're perfectly bilingual, I'd suggest applying to the French stream as you'll have a higher chance to get in. 
Apparently (someone at uOttawa back me up on this), once you are admitted to uOttawa med, you can take your exams and listen to lectures in whatever language you prefer.  So if you'd prefer to continue learning/studying in English, I think you'd be able to do so.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, zakohoobie1234 said:

What are my chances for the french stream uOttawa(CNFS) and the English stream? 

wGPA: 3.95   

Year: Just finished 2nd year and moving to 3rd year

ECs/Volunteering:

-Founder and Unit Leader of the campus Medical Response Team (1 year and 6 months).  

-President of MEDLIFE chapter (1 year) and member/executive for 3 years.  

-MEDLIFE volunteer trip to Cusco 2016.   

-Certified Medical First Responder (2 years)

-Hospital Volunteering (2 years)

-Taught elementary school students at Sunday school (1 year). 

-Shadowed 2 Cardiologists (20 hours) + Shadowed Pulmonologist 

-Student Journal Editor and Outreach member.  

Employment: Part time Medical Transcriptionist (1 year), Faculty of Biology Research assistant (16 weeks) as part of USRA, Faculty of Physics Research assistant (16 weeks) as part of USRA

Awards/Scholarships: 2 NSERC USRAs, Excellence in Teaching Award, Dean's List (2 times), Florence L.Murray Memorial Scholarship, Edwin Jacob Special University Scholarship, UNB Scholarship. 

I am hesitating between applying to the uOttawa English stream and French CNFS stream. I am perfectly bilingual, but I have studied my entire life in English so that is where I have the upper- hand. What would be my chances for the CNFS stream for this coming 2018-2019 application cycle? What would be my chances for the English stream? I would highly appreciate any response. 

I would go with English, CNFS is only 8 spot and you have the solid GPA and E.C for English stream

On 8/3/2018 at 1:27 PM, heyhellohi said:

If you're perfectly bilingual, I'd suggest applying to the French stream as you'll have a higher chance to get in. 
Apparently (someone at uOttawa back me up on this), once you are admitted to uOttawa med, you can take your exams and listen to lectures in whatever language you prefer.  So if you'd prefer to continue learning/studying in English, I think you'd be able to do so.

I think you have to submit essays in the language of the stream you are in. Also you can listen to RECORDED lectures of any language. However, you cannot attend the lectures of the opposite stream (people were doing this and it was deemed a professionalism issue. Repeated professionalism issues get put on your record and can get you kicked out of med).

keep in mind not all lectures are recorded and all of your practical and small group learning will be in French. 

Really only apply to French if you are for sure comfortable doing all of medicine in that language. 

Essays are a joke they are used to boost people's grades. 

So you can't go wrong both ways but the CNFS theres a loooooooot less competition. Your odds there are good but also english you are a very competitive canadidate! You cannot go wrong both ways, you have to make a personal gut feeling call for this one :) Either way fate will decide whether you get in: its all a lottery.

Mr Duck

On 8/15/2018 at 6:15 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Essays are a joke they are used to boost people's grades. 

So you can't go wrong both ways but the CNFS theres a loooooooot less competition. Your odds there are good but also english you are a very competitive canadidate! You cannot go wrong both ways, you have to make a personal gut feeling call for this one :) Either way fate will decide whether you get in: its all a lottery.

Mr Duck

Regardless of whether or not they bump people's grades, you still need to be comfortable writing an essay in French. That might be a distinguishing point for people who are boderline in terms of their comfort level with french. (Ex, someone that completed french-immersion or 4 years of highschool french classes and has a bilingualism certificate but hasn't used french day-to-day in 4 years). Whether this is specifically relevant for OP, who knows? Probably not if they are perfectly bilingual. 

Pick the program that you would be most competitive in and that you are okay with actually doing. Arguably the French stream is slightly less competitive as the required academic averages are lower (its still competitive though... obv). However, if you arent completely comfortable doing all the requirements of med in french... maybe dont apply to the french stream. This is just like not aplying to MD/PhD if you arent completely okay with taking 3 years off to do a PhD, despite there only being about 100 applicants for that program a year. 

If the language truly doesnt matter, i think the only other consideration might be class size. The french class is TINY. Like... slightly bigger than a high school class level tiny. This has positives and negatives. If you like that sort of environment over being in a bigger class, maybe french is right for you. 

What you should consider more instead of stupid essays they make you write in first year is your level of comfort with the casper. They are taking more and more look into casper and so if your level of comfort will be lower with french casper than that will seriously affect your admission. 

Mr Duck

Archived