Premed 101 Forums

deleted

8 hours ago, alokozay said:

How competitive is a 3.75 IP GPA for Mcgill? Do you need an amazing CV to get an interview or is it doable?

I think the average GPA for those IP candidates offered an interview for Fall 2017 admissions was around 3.84. And for Fall 2018 it was 3.88. It is definitely getting more competitive, but I think 3.75 is still within a competitive range provided your CV is above average. Don't forget they introduced the CASPer as well and CASPer is now worth 20% of your pre-interview score, while the CV is only 10%. 

23 minutes ago, alokozay said:

Thanks guys, just one more question - if i completed a year at a university, then dropped out and started another degree (w/ no transfer credits taken from the first school). Will all my grades count towards my GPA or is it only the grades for courses used in the the 'basis of admission' (latest) degree?

Thanks!

My understanding is that you would need to input all your marks: that is, one year at that university plus the all the marks for the new degree. This is cumulative GPA. The only time you can exclude your prior postsecondary courses is when you have completed your first degree and also a second undergrad.

6 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

My understanding is that you would need to input all your marks: that is, one year at that university plus the all the marks for the new degree. This is cumulative GPA. The only time you can exclude your prior postsecondary courses is when you have completed your first degree and also a second undergrad.

"The primary measure of undergraduate degree performance is the degree cumulative grade point average (DegGPA).Successful applicants tend to have a DegGPA above 3.5 (average approximately 3.8).Applicants with a DegGPA below 3.4 are rarely considered competitive. Academic performance of graduate or other undergraduate coursework is considered as part of the overall academic context, including completed graduate degrees."

This was lifted from the Mcgill Admission website. From my understanding the degGPA would only be from the completed degree, no? It says that "other undergraduate coursework" is only considered part of the overall academic context.. since I didn't use any transfer credits or those courses towards my degree.

3 hours ago, alokozay said:

"The primary measure of undergraduate degree performance is the degree cumulative grade point average (DegGPA).Successful applicants tend to have a DegGPA above 3.5 (average approximately 3.8).Applicants with a DegGPA below 3.4 are rarely considered competitive. Academic performance of graduate or other undergraduate coursework is considered as part of the overall academic context, including completed graduate degrees."

This was lifted from the Mcgill Admission website. From my understanding the degGPA would only be from the completed degree, no? It says that "other undergraduate coursework" is only considered part of the overall academic context.. since I didn't use any transfer credits or those courses towards my degree.

Fair. I would contact the office of admissions directly and get a response in writing. 

I was just under the impression that it was cumulative for all undergraduate coursework, unless you had finished a first undergrad degree and doing a second. 

The program that'll count is the one you've completed at least 45 credits in. You'll actually see the GPA they give you in the Excel sheet you'll fill. You still need to input all your grades though. Per example, I had a 3.4 GPA in music and a 3.80 in Biochem. Only my Biochem GPA was taken into account.

Archived