Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances? UPDATED

I just retook the MCAT. It didn't go as expected, but it's an improvement nonetheless. I was wondering what you all think my updated chances are at Canadian Med Schools. Also, which medical schools do you think I should apply to?

cGPA: 3.8-
UofT wGPA: 3.9-
Ottawa wGPA: 3.9-
Western/Queens wGPA: 3.9-
BC: 9-% 

MCAT: 51- 

ECs: Diverse

Research: A bunch

I'm coming off of a year in which I had no interviews, so I'm definitely worried. I have substantially improved my application in the past year however. What do you all think?

I would definitely apply to at least Ottawa, Mac, Toronto and Queens if I were in your shoes. I believe you’d have a chance at any of those. Westerns kind of hard to tell with the new ABS requirements, but not sure if CARS would drop that much (unless you’re SWOMEN, then I would definitely apply). 

Just make sure you read up lots on CASPer and get some practice if that’s how you’d like to prep for it. I’m not sure what your stats were before, but if anything your CASPer score might have been what was holding you back from interviews at Ottawa and Mac. 

Edit: I can only speak for Ontario med schools as that’s all I ever looked in to

On 8/8/2018 at 7:27 AM, buttercream said:

I’m not sure what your stats were before

cGPA: 3.8-
UofT wGPA: 3.9-
Ottawa wGPA: 3.8-
Western/Queens wGPA: 3.8-
BC: 8-%
MCAT 50- 
ECs: Less
Research: Less

Its definitely a huge step up. I just don't want to go through another round of no interviews. Do you think I'll get interviews in this cycle?

14 hours ago, Potentiate said:

cGPA: 3.82
UofT wGPA: 3.92
Ottawa wGPA: 3.85
Western/Queens wGPA: 3.87
BC: 86.8%
MCAT 509 (126 CARS)
ECs: Omit president & co-president roles/course development
Research: Omit 2 papers, 1 lit review, 1 poster presentation

Its definitely a huge step up. I just don't want to go through another round of no interviews. Do you think I'll get interviews in this cycle?

Yes that is a huge improvement, especially in terms of Ottawa/Toronto GPA (congrats!). Obviously no interview is guaranteed, but I do think it greatly improves your chances. 

I would really make sure to emphasize the CANMEDs in your sketch (maybe get someone to look them over for you too?) and maybe read some of Doing Right + do a lot of searching on the forums for CASPer. If you do well on CASPer I think you have a good chance of interviews at Mac & Ottawa.

I had worse cGPA and CARS score than you, so it’s definitely possible! I know receiving no interviews last round isnt the ideal situation but you’ve been able to improve so much! Keep fighting for it :). 

52 minutes ago, buttercream said:

Yes that is a huge improvement, especially in terms of Ottawa/Toronto GPA (congrats!). Obviously no interview is guaranteed, but I do think it greatly improves your chances. 

I would really make sure to emphasize the CANMEDs in your sketch (maybe get someone to look them over for you too?) and maybe read some of Doing Right + do a lot of searching on the forums for CASPer. If you do well on CASPer I think you have a good chance of interviews at Mac & Ottawa.

I had worse cGPA and CARS score than you, so it’s definitely possible! I know receiving no interviews last round isnt the ideal situation but you’ve been able to improve so much! Keep fighting for it :). 

Unfortunately for English stream that Ottawa GPA is RIGHT at the cut off, it is not competitive. The 3.93-5+ would be where you wanna be at. Of course there are a few people who MAY get it due to stellar ECs and a stellar CASPer, but you need those two things. They are a GPA heavy school.

UOT there is a chance.

16 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Unfortunately for English stream that Ottawa GPA is RIGHT at the cut off, it is not competitive. The 3.93-5+ would be where you wanna be at. Of course there are a few people who MAY get it due to stellar ECs and a stellar CASPer, but you need those two things. They are a GPA heavy school.

UOT there is a chance.

You’re looking at the wrong stats. Their updated stats are Ottawa GPA 3.94

Archived