Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dream96med

GPA for med

Hi everyone, 

My GPA is 3.76 and I have some extracurricular experience (research, tutoring, etc) but compared to what I read in this forum, I would not consider it to be extraordinary experience. Do you think I should try to apply this year (based on the average gpa and minimum needed?)

Thank you

I think you should apply, doesn't mean you'll get the interview but you might. Plus, McGill gives you your rankings in the case you are rejected, which means you'd know where you're application needs improvement. There is also a 10% circumstance factor on your GPA, so depending on your program and what you did during your undergrad (work, volunteering, sports, graduate studies, etc), your academics score could be higher than someone who has a 3.9 GPA in some other circumstances. At worst you'll lose 100$ but you'll get some useful insight on what to improve.

10 hours ago, SpeedyPotato said:

I think you should apply, doesn't mean you'll get the interview but you might. Plus, McGill gives you your rankings in the case you are rejected, which means you'd know where you're application needs improvement. There is also a 10% circumstance factor on your GPA, so depending on your program and what you did during your undergrad (work, volunteering, sports, graduate studies, etc), your academics score could be higher than someone who has a 3.9 GPA in some other circumstances. At worst you'll lose 100$ but you'll get some useful insight on what to improve.

Thank you very much for your reply!! 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, Dream96med said:

Hi everyone, 

My GPA is 3.76 and I have some extracurricular experience (research, tutoring, etc) but compared to what I read in this forum, I would not consider it to be extraordinary experience. Do you think I should try to apply this year (based on the average gpa and minimum needed?)

Thank you

You definitely should apply. I know people who got in with a GPA in the same range as yours and who did not have an "extraordinary experience".