Premed 101 Forums

Submitted vs Accepted vs Published Research

Nyxia

I assume these appear differently on the CaRMs application, does anyone have a sample application/screenshot of what this would look like? And any thoughts on the differences in weighting given to these in the application process? For instance do 4 submitted projects appear less impressive than 1 published?

Thanks in advance!

• 9 months later...

I am not sure of the current CaRMS format, but it would be appropriate to distinguish these categories on your CV, and include the date submitted or accepted if applicable. Published and accepted should be of similar weight; submitted is better than simply having worked on a project, since it indicates your project has progressed to final writeup. 

There isn't a strict relative weighting for papers - it depends on your role, and the quality and impact of the project. But only having submitted and no published papers might suggest you have only begun involvement in research recently.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:58 PM, Nyxia said:

I assume these appear differently on the CaRMs application, does anyone have a sample application/screenshot of what this would look like? And any thoughts on the differences in weighting given to these in the application process? For instance do 4 submitted projects appear less impressive than 1 published?

Thanks in advance!

I just did CaRMS this year and Publications had a few drop down menus, which included (but not limited to) abstract, poster, article, conference. The only formal way to identify whether a publication has been submitted/accepted vs published is by filling out the field "Publication web link". I was in this situation and for my submitted publication I just didn't fill out the publication web link. 

As to whether 4 submitted vs 1 published project have a difference in weighting is anyone's guess. Each program of each school will place different value on different things. Really can't answer this question other than to say published projects **probably** have more weight!

Good luck!