Premed 101 Forums

Incorporating with a contract rate

I’m hoping some more knowledgeable individuals can provide me with some info on this. I know that you cannot incorporate as a salaried physician.  Can you incorporate if you are being paid an hourly rate for contracted services, I.e $200/hr + a % of shadow billing.  I suspect the answer for this is yes but I would appreciate a more educated opinion.

thanks!

49 minutes ago, BigM said:

I’m hoping some more knowledgeable individuals can provide me with some info on this. I know that you cannot incorporate as a salaried physician.  Can you incorporate if you are being paid an hourly rate for contracted services, I.e $200/hr + a % of shadow billing.  I suspect the answer for this is yes but I would appreciate a more educated opinion.

thanks!

Not that I know the answer, but are you referring to something like a locum? I believe you can incorporate while doing locums.

13 hours ago, BigM said:

thanks!

Yes.

21 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Not that I know the answer, but are you referring to something like a locum? I believe you can incorporate while doing locums.

It wouldn’t necessarily be a Locum as those tend to be time-limited, but a very similar principle. This would be a situation where you are billing X organization Y dollars/hour for your time for Z number of hours. They define this as a contract for services. X could be a provincial government, community health Center or another organization.  I suspect this is probably the same thing as a “sessional” but admit I don’t fully know what the term means.

9 minutes ago, BigM said:

It wouldn’t necessarily be a Locum as those tend to be time-limited, but a very similar principle. This would be a situation where you are billing X organization Y dollars/hour for your time for Z number of hours. They define this as a contract for services. X could be a provincial government, community health Center or another organization.  I suspect this is probably that things is probably the same thing as a “sessional” but admit I don’t fully know what the term means.

sounds like it would work as long as they aren't actually considering you one - which they probably won't because for one thing it is way more expensive. 

Archived