Premed 101 Forums

Non-traditional asking for some advice

Hello

I am a non traditional resident in Ontario. I graduated in 2015 with a science degree and want to apply to medical school in Canada (very preferred) but will consider US MD and DO. Can you give me your honest advice on what I should do?

Year 1 3.75
Year 2 3.65
Year 3 3.72
Year 4 3.24 (personal issues)
cGPA 3.59 

EC from Uni: Club VPs, Student Mentor, Tutor, Student Counselor and other smaller involvements
Work: Non profit organization internships, tutor, scribe, medical assistant in a specialty clinic, research assistant

References: Strong references from PI and doctors I have worked with

MCAT: took in Uni got 24. Recently took MCAT and felt a lot better than my first time around. Now waiting for results to come back in 2 weeks.

I realize my lowest GPA occurred during the most important year of undegrad (4th) but unfortunately personal issues (family, friends and mental health) really effected me at the time. Now I am in a better place.

I am considering doing a 5th year to help boost my GPA, work part time and strengthen my ECs. The GPA gain would be minimal but I hope to convey that I am capable of doing well and have recovered from my bad 4th year. Is there value in this thought? Should I do a second degree instead? I don't want to commit 2-3 more years for a degree that may lead me to the same job prospects I have now but I would appreciate your honest opinions. At this time, I am not very interested in pursuing a certificate or Masters program. 

Cheers

Yes, taking a extra year if possible would be a great idea. May need to sort out logistics of *how* you will do that depending on the school.  Depending on how your MCAT comes back, this may make the extra work for canada worth it or not.  

Have you been working full time for the last 3 years? building up non-academics? 

Value of a 2nd degree will really depend on how the MCAT goes and what schools to target.  Are your undergrad years full load:?

16 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Yes, taking a extra year if possible would be a great idea. May need to sort out logistics of *how* you will do that depending on the school.  Depending on how your MCAT comes back, this may make the extra work for canada worth it or not.  

Have you been working full time for the last 3 years? building up non-academics? 

Value of a 2nd degree will really depend on how the MCAT goes and what schools to target.  Are your undergrad years full load:?

Hey thanks for the reply. I am hopeful for a 509 for my MCAT based off my the average of my FLs, but I am not sure how it will go.. (who does right). Is this a good enough MCAT to be competitive or should I consider taking it again if I get that.

I have been combining all the job positions I listed part time. My city is smaller so there haven't been many science/medical related job opportunities and those have been the best I have been able to find.

All my years were full course load and the extra year I want to take will also be full course load. It looks like Western would be the best chance, especially if I can do well in my 5th year. What areas do you think I should be focusing on for this upcoming application cycle.

Thanks again

Archived