Premed 101 Forums

Home School Vs. OOP Elective

I am interested in a moderately competitive specialty and will be applying broadly across the country this fall. Due to some poor planning + bad luck I currently have no OOP electives (I'm in Ontario). The only possibility I may have is to do one after CaRMS, before interviews. I currently have an elective at my home school scheduled in that slot. Would it be better to keep my home school elective and have zero OOP electives or switch? How much of a difference will it make to getting OOP interviews?

I can't say how much difference it would make, but if you had that elective you could at least point to it in your personal statement and say that you are not one of those people who are not able to consider anything outside of Ontario, you were just unsuccessful in arranging any OOP electives other than this one.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:40 PM, NewBeginnings said:

I am interested in a moderately competitive specialty and will be applying broadly across the country this fall. Due to some poor planning + bad luck I currently have no OOP electives (I'm in Ontario). The only possibility I may have is to do one after CaRMS, before interviews. I currently have an elective at my home school scheduled in that slot. Would it be better to keep my home school elective and have zero OOP electives or switch? How much of a difference will it make to getting OOP interviews?

I've heard it can make a difference, if you already have home school electives/letters, I would switch it. 

Archived