Premed 101 Forums

I am almost done my BSc in Biology however, I have an extremely low GPA around 2.33. Yes, I know that's terrible. I keep telling myself maybe I should choose a different path, but I just can't. I have been volunteering at the hospital for a few years now. I am not athletic and I have not been leading anything in particular. But I still want to be a doctor and now I am more mentally prepared then I was when I began initially. What can I do to increase my chances as an applicant? 

The reason I suggested Kin is it ia good prep for med, it prepares you for a Plan B in the healthcare field and is not terribly hard but the material is voluminous and requires hard work to attain those A's.  toothchainz made a value point. BTW, for many applicants accepted, I see they studies geography! Students tend to do much better in programs of interest!

No question it's possible to get accepted to med, even after struggling and starting with a low GPA.  There are many degrees - definitely doesn't have to be a BSc.  At this point though, it's important to try to figure out a game plan and what specific things you can improve to make your second degree really count.  It could mean studying a subject that you're very interested in and it could also mean seeing how to improve your academic outcomes through working with student services.  

However, I'd think twice before diving into another degree immediately - it sounds like you're feeling a lot more mentally prepared, but maybe working for a year or gaining other experience might help you get to the 100% prepared state.  It's a big commitment and expense with no guarantees.  So it's also really important to have a Plan B and even Plan C or D.

What is your GPA breakdown, do you have an upward trend at all? What is your EC situation like, other than hospital volunteering?

What is it about medical school that particularly interests you over other careers in health care like PT, RN, PA, NP etc? 

As long as you are up for a long journey, it is definitely still possible for you to improve your chances for medicine.

Did you study full-time during your undergraduate studies? Is there an upward trend at all or any years where your GPA is above 3.7? This could potentially open up a few options for you aside from a second undergraduate degree (i.e. an additional year of studies outside of undergrad). 

Otherwise, a second undergraduate degree would be your best shot. I would highly suggest picking something that interests you and that could provide you with a Plan B. Even as a competitive applicant, this does not guarantee you will be admitted. Make sure the program you choose is one you know you could do well in. Thinking about what aspects attract you to medicine in the first place and what other careers include those would be a good start. 

Please take the time to carefully consider options and make sure you are ready to undertake further studies before you do so. Look into the different admissions policies regarding second degrees as this varies between schools. 

Best of luck! 

18 hours ago, threeescore said:

no shame in going abroad tbh...fuck the haters

other than second undergrad but yeah

Not about shame... but unless the OP can turn things around what makes you think they will be successful in medical school? or residency? exams and expectations only go up not down. 

- G 

6 hours ago, Mediocre2Med said:

As long as you are up for a long journey, it is definitely still possible for you to improve your chances for medicine.

Did you study full-time during your undergraduate studies? Is there an upward trend at all or any years where your GPA is above 3.7? This could potentially open up a few options for you aside from a second undergraduate degree (i.e. an additional year of studies outside of undergrad). 

Otherwise, a second undergraduate degree would be your best shot. I would highly suggest picking something that interests you and that could provide you with a Plan B. Even as a competitive applicant, this does not guarantee you will be admitted. Make sure the program you choose is one you know you could do well in. Thinking about what aspects attract you to medicine in the first place and what other careers include those would be a good start. 

Please take the time to carefully consider options and make sure you are ready to undertake further studies before you do so. Look into the different admissions policies regarding second degrees as this varies between schools. 

Best of luck! 

Thank you Mediocre2Med, 

I agree I am up for a long journey and it's going to be costly. I did study full-time during my undergraduate studies, but I don't have an upward trend or a year with a GPA above 3.7. So I agree with all of you that I need to pick a degree major of interest that would also lead me to a career other than med school. 

7 hours ago, Newbie2 said:

How important is research experience when applying to Canadian Medical Schools? 

It's definitely helpful but is not required. Some schools love it more than others but people still get in without having done research. Do it to at least try it out but if you turn out to hate it, don't force yourself to continue. Do something else that you're passionate about instead, as that will come across when you talk about it during interviews. 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:02 AM, threeescore said:

no shame in going abroad tbh...fuck the haters

other than second undergrad but yeah

Going abroad is not a good idea here. The OP has a GPA well below that of even an average university student, without an upward trend, or a single year above 3.7. Entering an IMG pathway where success ultimately depends on performing equal (and usually better) than a typical Canadian or US medical student is not likely to end well. Right now, for this particular person, going abroad likely means attrition and debt. This isn't hater talk. This is real, and something that needs to be said.

14 hours ago, Newbie2 said:

How important is research experience when applying to Canadian Medical Schools? 

7 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

It's definitely helpful but is not required. Some schools love it more than others but people still get in without having done research. Do it to at least try it out but if you turn out to hate it, don't force yourself to continue. Do something else that you're passionate about instead, as that will come across when you talk about it during interviews. 

I'd also just like to add that research does not make up for a low GPA, especially at schools that have a sequential file review process. If they've set a certain GPA and MCAT cut off for that year, you essentially have a 0% chance if you're below that cut off regardless if you've got 10 first-author NEJM papers. If you decide to do a second undergrad, focus on your GPA first before spending time and energy on extracurriculars and research.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice!! 

I am beginning to understand that the GPA and MCAT is the top priority and the starting point but not everything. 

Intrepid86, I agree with you on the going abroad matter. If I am not a competitive applicant then it doesn't matter where I go. The goal isn't to complete the degree as soon as possible. It's to figure out if this path is really for me and then to prove that I can work hard and complete medical school if and when I actually get accepted. It's quite necessary to be real in this situation. 

Archived