Premed 101 Forums

Question about Verifiers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who was accepted in past cycles used colleagues/coworkers rather than supervisors as verifiers? It says it's strongly not recommended on the UBC website but I unfortunately have no way of finding my supervisor from 10+ years ago for a few activities. Thank you so much for your help!

I have used co-workers in the past, because I couldn't find a retired supervisor. I would prefer to include it rather than omit it. I did get an interview and got waitlisted, so I'm not sure if it is necessarily a red-flag? Are you supposed to put "supervisor" or "co-worker" in the job title field for the verifier? I mean if you just put their actual job title, which is what I thought you do, would they even know if the person was a co-worker or supervisor? I actually indicated in the clarifications box that I had to put a colleague instead of a supervisor and gave the reason, but not sure if that is necessary? 

11 hours ago, PeanutButter1 said:

I mean if you just put their actual job title, which is what I thought you do, would they even know if the person was a co-worker or supervisor? I actually indicated in the clarifications box that I had to put a colleague instead of a supervisor and gave the reason, but not sure if that is necessary? 

Yeah, I guess they wouldn't know unless they called and asked. That's a good idea with the clarification box though. That way they know upfront it's a colleague and if they don't approve they could always exclude it. 

13 hours ago, PeanutButter1 said:

I have used co-workers in the past, because I couldn't find a retired supervisor. I would prefer to include it rather than omit it. I did get an interview and got waitlisted, so I'm not sure if it is necessarily a red-flag? Are you supposed to put "supervisor" or "co-worker" in the job title field for the verifier? I mean if you just put their actual job title, which is what I thought you do, would they even know if the person was a co-worker or supervisor? I actually indicated in the clarifications box that I had to put a colleague instead of a supervisor and gave the reason, but not sure if that is necessary? 

do you mean the "comments" section? Are there any job title fields for verifiers?

As I have been working more on my app I happened to stumble upon more information about UBC's verifier policies if anyone else is in the same boat. UBC happened to answer this question on their webpage last year:

1. I worked somewhere/did something a long time ago and have lost touch with my supervisor.

This is a common problem. Sometimes the organization will keep records, so you might be able to put down the current HR person. Remember, the verifier only needs to be able to confirm the details you list on the application – they don’t have to know you personally or comment on your performance. Alternatively, you might be able to reach out through social media to get in touch with your former supervisor. The ‘last resort’ is to use a coworker. You may do this at your discretion, but please note that in some cases we may contact you to ask for a different verifier. We do not accept things like certificates, newspaper articles, or other non-human forms of verification.

https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2017/08/23/verifier-questions/

Archived