Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who was accepted in past cycles used colleagues/coworkers rather than supervisors as verifiers? It says it's strongly not recommended on the UBC website but I unfortunately have no way of finding my supervisor from 10+ years ago for a few activities. Thank you so much for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the same position for a couple of old activities. Would you recommend omitting the activity if an old supervisor cannot be found? It sucks to omit something considering UBC heavily values experiences but I don't know what other options there are that wouldn't get red-flagged? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used co-workers in the past, because I couldn't find a retired supervisor. I would prefer to include it rather than omit it. I did get an interview and got waitlisted, so I'm not sure if it is necessarily a red-flag? Are you supposed to put "supervisor" or "co-worker" in the job title field for the verifier? I mean if you just put their actual job title, which is what I thought you do, would they even know if the person was a co-worker or supervisor? I actually indicated in the clarifications box that I had to put a colleague instead of a supervisor and gave the reason, but not sure if that is necessary? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PeanutButter1 said:

I mean if you just put their actual job title, which is what I thought you do, would they even know if the person was a co-worker or supervisor? I actually indicated in the clarifications box that I had to put a colleague instead of a supervisor and gave the reason, but not sure if that is necessary? 

Yeah, I guess they wouldn't know unless they called and asked. That's a good idea with the clarification box though. That way they know upfront it's a colleague and if they don't approve they could always exclude it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PeanutButter1 said:

I have used co-workers in the past, because I couldn't find a retired supervisor. I would prefer to include it rather than omit it. I did get an interview and got waitlisted, so I'm not sure if it is necessarily a red-flag? Are you supposed to put "supervisor" or "co-worker" in the job title field for the verifier? I mean if you just put their actual job title, which is what I thought you do, would they even know if the person was a co-worker or supervisor? I actually indicated in the clarifications box that I had to put a colleague instead of a supervisor and gave the reason, but not sure if that is necessary? 

do you mean the "comments" section? Are there any job title fields for verifiers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dpicks said:

do you mean the "comments" section? Are there any job title fields for verifiers?

Maybe you're getting UBC confused with OMSAS? For UBC there is a clarification and job title section. For OMSAS there is just the comment section as you mention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have been working more on my app I happened to stumble upon more information about UBC's verifier policies if anyone else is in the same boat. UBC happened to answer this question on their webpage last year:

Quote
  1. I worked somewhere/did something a long time ago and have lost touch with my supervisor.

This is a common problem. Sometimes the organization will keep records, so you might be able to put down the current HR person. Remember, the verifier only needs to be able to confirm the details you list on the application – they don’t have to know you personally or comment on your performance. Alternatively, you might be able to reach out through social media to get in touch with your former supervisor. The ‘last resort’ is to use a coworker. You may do this at your discretion, but please note that in some cases we may contact you to ask for a different verifier. We do not accept things like certificates, newspaper articles, or other non-human forms of verification.

https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2017/08/23/verifier-questions/
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×